How To Remove Undercoating On Inside Of Wheels

andre12dbsi

Gatineau, QC Canada
Vehicle Model
'15 Acura TLX SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
Is Goo Gone safe to use on the inside of a wheel? I bought some HFP wheels on the weekend and on the inside of the wheel there is what looks like undercoating (a heavy grease based material). I'm guessing it's undercoating because when they under coated our 8th gen, the inside of the wheels had the same type of product on them. I didn't bother trying to get it off of our other Civic. I'd like to attempt removing it on these wheels. Goo Gone is the only product I can think of that would remove it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've seen others recommend "goo-off" to remove sticker adhesive on paint.

you happen to have goof off?
28715_02_200.jpg

if there is any sticker residue, it will remove it without problem

Reactions: Nix
Thanks Kenny. I've never heard of this product. It sounds very similar to Goo Gone. I'm just worried that it might damage the finish on the shiny part of the wheel if any happens to get on it.

If you're concerned about the finish try any of the citrus based degreasers. They are often safer than other products that might be petroleum based. Also just rub whatever you get on a small spot and see if it discolors it. Ya know, just like they say to on the label but no one ever does..... the inconspicuous test spot.

The goo gone stuff is citrus based. Should be pretty safe and I think you can get a small bottle at Home Depot.

http://googone.com/

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll see what I can do on the weekend when I have some time. I've got some goo gone in the garage and I might pick up some WD40 as well.

I may even try it in a small spot first like the instructions say. ;)

Thanks Kenny. I've never heard of this product. It sounds very similar to Goo Gone. I'm just worried that it might damage the finish on the shiny part of the wheel if any happens to get on it.
Good to go, I've used GooGone on painted surfaces with no damage.... But when working on large areas I'd go with WD-40 and let it soak for hours and wipe with cloth till gone.......... It's the tool you use that can do the damage......... use cloth.

Some people will say to use brake cleaners. I wouldn't suggest it because it will harm the paint coating.

Back