Howdy, Folks!

Bob-blehead

Midland, MI
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
EX Sedan
I've been posting around the site already . . . finally taking time to do a proper intro.

My wife and I traded-in our '08 Chrysler Town & Country to purchase two, yes two, new Civics on April 6. Mine is a silver EX-L, and the kids' car is an EX in Cool Mist. Will be donating my wife's 2000 Olds Intrigue to a charity (tbd).

I was blown away with the driving characteristics of this car, especially after test driving the Accord. I was impressed enough with the Accord, which we were looking to buy for me, even though it was an LX. Then we drove the Civic. I was surprised at how smooth the ride was, at how quiet the engine was, but most of all, at how the car felt in my hands. Also, we felt that the seats in the Civic actually felt better than the seats in the Accord. Not that the Accord seats were terrible . . . not by any means. But when I saw what I could get in the Civic for about the same money I was going to pay for the Accord, the choice became an easy one.

I have really grown to like my new Civic even more. I still can't get over how well the car drives. Every time I grab the steering wheel . . . WOW! Especially after driving mini-vans since 1995! It is the first vehicle I've owned since 1995 that I really look forward to driving . . . that I take out to drive just to drive it.

At this point, my only regret not having investigated the Si. Dealer didn't have one on the lot, so we never considered it. Won't make that mistake again the next time around.

At any rate, I'm enjoying the space here, and learning a lot about our shared interest. Hope to have pics up on the site tomorrow. See y'all 'round!

Bob

great intro, and glad to hear you're enjoying your new vehicles so much.

as for your car - I know someone else who was donating a vehicle to charity in the past and they did a bunch of research. If your goal is to donate some funds to the charity, they found it was actually more beneficial to sell the car privately. Then they turned the money over to the charity for a larger sum. It helps you more on your taxes, and usually nets a larger return for the charity as well. I don't know if this is the case in every state, but it may be something you should look into.

Interesting! I'll have to look more into it. The last time we discussed this was when we were considering the purchase, and looking into trading in the car along with our van, and my wife came up with the idea of donating it. A couple of the organizations we are looking at do some work on the car, then provide it to someone who needs it for basic transportation, like getting back and forth to a job. We know we will get more benefit from donating it than we would have gotten on a trade in.

Your suggestion is another option we can look at.

Back