Howdy!

SCMountaineer

Hey folks! Long time Honda owner here...91 prelude, 2004 accord, 2005 s2000, 2005 pilot, 2008 civic, and a 2010 crv. Currently considering moving to either a 2012 civic Si or a mini Clubman. There are things I like about both but can't quite decide. I'm sure the thoughts here will be pro civic...but haven't driven one yet, and not sold on the interior. Seems a little flimsier than the last generation. Anyone out there have experience with both?

Well if you're a honda lover...why get a mini? :P

Sorry I don't have experience with either but welcome to the site!

:wave:

Welcome.

I have a friend who had a Mini and while they have great interior quality, he didn't have the best reliability with it. Ended up trading it for an 11 FA5.

Thanks for the welcome! I guess I'm just thinking of the mini as something totally different. The reliability worries me, but I trade at most every two years so I'm hoping that it would hold together while I had it. On the other hand, whenever I've strayed from Honda I always end up coming back. (also have had Mazdas, a Bimmer, and a dreadful Dodge)

Three weeks ago I purchased a '12 Tafetta White Si Sedan and I love it. Unlike yourself though, I am not a lifetime Honda owner. I have owned three GM vehicles prior to the Si but in my opinion the interior quality is definitely way better than anything I have had prior. The only thing I hear that is different from the 8th Gen Si and the 9th Gen Si quality wise is the fabric on the doors was softer and more padded in the 8th Gen. However with Honda re-designing the 9th Gen E-Brake, it no longer hits you're knee which improves driving comfort. Also they have tilted all of you're radio/heating/air control toward the driver, thus making it easier to access then the previous 8th Gen controls that were straight on.

Obviously I am pro-civic, but this is coming from someone who up until three weeks ago had never owned a Honda.

I had a 2007 BMW 328i, it was great but expensive to drive. The runflat performance tires were gone every 12,000 miles or so and cost a grand to replace.
If I get the Civic SI, I will likely have the seats redone in leather (making the interior black and ivory, sort of like the accord coupe can be had). good fix on the e-brake, that was one thing that always drove me nuts in my previous Civic.

We have a 99' M3 and a '96 civic. We used to have a 2007 civic si. Miss it badly. I wouldn't mind a 9th though. They're really growing on me. Hondas are usually quite reliable.

I think the minis are cute....but I just can't see myself ever owning one.

Try taking both for a test drive?

welcome to the site...have you driven the clubman yet? Any initial thoughts on how it drove and stuff...? Or what you do/don't like with it? Have you found any new si models around where you live?

I just took a look at a 2012 Si Coupe and I am mighy impressed with it. The styling in person is really nice. And, with that K24, you will have lots of torque. The Mini is nice too, but I think I would rather go with the Si. Plus, with a Full Race turbo, you will have no problems passing granny in her Cadillac on the freeway. LOL

I have driven the Clubman, but have not driven the new Si. It will take several weeks to get one. I liked the steering response and the stiff sporty feel of the mini. The one I would get has several thousand dollars worth of interior upgrades so the cabin is just awesome.

I'm not sure how much you've seen interior wise, but there is a video here that shows some

http://9thcivic.com/forum/media/2012-honda-civic-review-and-comparison-9thcivic-com.48/

about 1 minute into the vid, she goes in and views the dash etc.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/media/2012-honda-civic-si-coupe-road-test-car-and-driver.34/
you can see some of the interior in this vid as well.

I'd say you need to see the interior in person, and drive it. See how it compares in size, power, features.... cost etc. Resale value, reliability, and personal preference will all play a part in what fits your needs the most. I've never driven the mini to give much feedback. I've known users who had past version of the mini turbo, and they really seemed to like the go-cart type ride on twisty roads.

I agree with Webby, that video will at least run you through the differences, but it is really tough to see due to the fact it is dark. Best bet is to test drive one and see for yourself.

I also agree with the girl in the video that the new civic's seats are fat man friendly or whatever she says her boyfriend calls them. I am only 5'10 and 160 lbs and I do slide around on the seat a little bit.

^ The 2012 Si seat bolsters seem to have less side bolstering than my 2007 Si. Maybe Honda should contact Mitsubishi about the Recaro seats they use in the Evo. They are perfect for tracking, but oh man, they are tough to get out of sometimes....

Well I sold my crv today so I need to decide quickly. Thanks for the advice guys...leaning to the civic.

Back