I really need help.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...ficient-windows-are-melting-her-toyota-prius/

I know this is not related to your issue, however it may be something to consider?
Essentially, it's probably something similar to that above.
Imagine it's really hot outside, sun is out and hardly any clouds around. Now take a mirror or anything large and reflective and make the sun point to any spot on your paint. Then let it sit there for an hour or two and that is what you get.

Something around your car reflected the sun to a spot on your car for an extended length of time and started to melt it. It's rare, but it happens. Most likely the plastic and paint both melted from the intense heat.
It's not a defect, just really no different than you taking a magnifying glass to your car. Large windows tend to do this...or even someone's rear-view mirror reflecting the sun.

Last edited:
Today I came out of school and the paint on the back of my car looked like this. This is a 2012 civic si coupe.
View attachment 9548
I Have no clue what happened and I went to the dealer and I had the auto body guy and the general manager look at my car and they all had no idea. They think it got heated up by something and warped it. No damage at all on tail light but as you can see the corner is popped up. I park it in the back of the parking lot so im pretty sure that would be impossible. The one thing is the temperature right outside philly has been changing alot recently and i have no idea if that has anything to do with it. So this thursday the honda sells rep from my area is coming to check it out. Has anyone seen anything like this?

I've seen something like that several times before from polishing paint, most commonly on plastic parts like bumper covers as they don't dissipate heat as well and they also have flex additives in the paint. Paint twist or wrinkle is what we call it.

I'm assuming you didn't do any polishign so I'll forward this to a buddy who may have more input on it. I would guess it is heat related though and simply caused the paint to blister.

Last edited:
My buddy requested the following info. :)

Look inside the door jam, what month was it built and is it a USA build or Japan.
I'll try to figure it out, but need the info.

Today I came out of school and the paint on the back of my car looked like this. This is a 2012 civic si coupe.
View attachment 9548
I Have no clue what happened and I went to the dealer and I had the auto body guy and the general manager look at my car and they all had no idea. They think it got heated up by something and warped it. No damage at all on tail light but as you can see the corner is popped up. I park it in the back of the parking lot so im pretty sure that would be impossible. The one thing is the temperature right outside philly has been changing alot recently and i have no idea if that has anything to do with it. So this thursday the honda sells rep from my area is coming to check it out. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Ray, can you possibly post a few more pictures? Is that red paint showing where it's lifting?

I've seen paint wrinkle like that if it isn't thinned enough, and sprayed in too heavy a coat. It can look smooth initially, then wrinkle up like that as it starts to cure.

Do you know for a fact that paint was never like that? Is it possible it was always there, and you just noticed it?

Ray, can you possibly post a few more pictures? Is that red paint showing where it's lifting?
its not red paint, i'm pretty sure its a reflection. i'm having a Honda rep look at it tomorrow. The reflection thing everyone is talking about could be the answer. I ahvent done anything to the car. I just parked it and it sat all day until I came back to it and it looked like that. i can take a few more pictures tomorrow.

its not red paint, i'm pretty sure its a reflection. i'm having a Honda rep look at it tomorrow. The reflection thing everyone is talking about could be the answer. I ahvent done anything to the car. I just parked it and it sat all day until I came back to it and it looked like that. i can take a few more pictures tomorrow.

Ok. Thanks. I'm having a hard time picturing the area as I've not spent any time around a newer Si.

I wait for you pics. :)

Hey Ray. After looking at some stock photos I finally figured out where the area was....lol!

I shared it with my buddy and gave him a few more details but he would still like to know where the car was made and the build date. He's been retired for a while now but he worked closely with several paint and car manufactures over the years on their paint systems.

Got you mail, but went back to this one to take another look.
Rasky, I know Honda's quality control, and they are picky on paint at the plants.
There is some else going on, as I would bet good money that it never left the plant with that concern.
1. In my few decades of working around the various car assembly plants paint kitchens, never saw this issue.
2. Would be interest to be able to use a fine probe and touch into the wrinkles, as I think underneath that mess it is probably "soft".
3. I would also bet that the area can easily be "peeled" off of the spoiler.
Either of these would indicate some refinish work.
That said, not at the plant, but if it came out of the Canadian plant, may have suffered some slight damage in transport and the US entry port did some quick repair.
But, don't know what plant it came from, could even have been a Japan plant.
The door jamb sticker tells that story.
Keep doing some detective work, but either way, usually Honda's policy is different than other manufactures, they go back to the "check in inspection report" that the dealer signed when they off loaded the vehicle from the transport truck and will probably tell the dealer it's his problem, to fix at his expense.
Which may be why the Service Manager and other in the dealership are playing "dumb".

I also asked about reflected heat from am object like a building....

Naww, if it were heat it would look different and have a larger affected area.
The bake temperature in the ovens is 300F and above.
It's the "wrinkeling" that I keep going back to.
Plus, if the panel's adhesive has broken loose, since factory adhesives very, very seldom come loose, that would indicate a port repair as well.
Hard for me to go back in time and all my major data, information, etc was left at the company when I retired, but I seem to recall that Civic's were being built in Canada, not sure what the new plant in Greenville, Indiana is building.
In either case, he needs to read his owners manual and warranty, be sure that he has documentation of when he first brought this to the attention of the dealership.
Like I stated, Honda says that they delivered a car without defects, so it could be a battle.

I also asked about reflected heat from am object like a building....

Naww, if it were heat it would look different and have a larger affected area.
The bake temperature in the ovens is 300F and above.
It's the "wrinkeling" that I keep going back to.
Plus, if the panel's adhesive has broken loose, since factory adhesives very, very seldom come loose, that would indicate a port repair as well.
Hard for me to go back in time and all my major data, information, etc was left at the company when I retired, but I seem to recall that Civic's were being built in Canada, not sure what the new plant in Greenville, Indiana is building.
In either case, he needs to read his owners manual and warranty, be sure that he has documentation of when he first brought this to the attention of the dealership.
Like I stated, Honda says that they delivered a car without defects, so it could be a battle.
Thank you so much for doing the research! i picked my car up from the dealer earlier today and the Honda rep still had no idea what it was so they just covered it under warranty :woot:

You guys will never believe this. Its almost a year later and the same thing happened to my car. I have my car under video surveillance at night time and no one touched my car and it has the same markings as before. It got really cold out last night and ice was all over my car. I do not even know what to say at this point. rhonda11.18.jpg

Time to visit the dealer again. Their repair paint would have a warranty on it. Just crazy.

Back