Illumination wire not working

Tha_Dozer

I am helping my friend out with his 2013 Civic SI as he was not impressed with the illumination add-on kit (http://www.bkhondaparts.com/parts-c...t/ka6mt/accessories/interior-illumination-red) that the dealership installed for him. So he purchased (2) aftermarket LED strips and asked me to help him install them in place of the single LED's. When we originally cut the stock LED off of the harness (on the drivers side), I had removed the illumination fuse to ensure everything was safe. The LED strip turned on and was a lot brighter than the one the dealer installed. We then decided to head out to Autozone for some other parts and in the shuffle the fuse somehow got put back in and was not removed when we came back to install the second LED strip.

Now it appears these wires which are pink (possibly red) and yellow are not receiving power. Of course we popped the hood and check all the fuses. Then checked the fuses under the driver side and those fuses were good as well. I finally found the inline 2A fuse that came with this harness and it was popped. So we replaced it with high hopes that all would be good afterwards. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. Using a voltmeter it appears no power is being supplied to this harness.

As silly as this seems, has anyone come across an issue like this before or can provide some additional suggestions for troubleshooting the problem?

I am helping my friend out with his 2013 Civic SI as he was not impressed with the illumination add-on kit (http://www.bkhondaparts.com/parts-c...t/ka6mt/accessories/interior-illumination-red) that the dealership installed for him. So he purchased (2) aftermarket LED strips and asked me to help him install them in place of the single LED's. When we originally cut the stock LED off of the harness (on the drivers side), I had removed the illumination fuse to ensure everything was safe. The LED strip turned on and was a lot brighter than the one the dealer installed. We then decided to head out to Autozone for some other parts and in the shuffle the fuse somehow got put back in and was not removed when we came back to install the second LED strip.

Now it appears these wires which are pink (possibly red) and yellow are not receiving power. Of course we popped the hood and check all the fuses. Then checked the fuses under the driver side and those fuses were good as well. I finally found the inline 2A fuse that came with this harness and it was popped. So we replaced it with high hopes that all would be good afterwards. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. Using a voltmeter it appears no power is being supplied to this harness.

As silly as this seems, has anyone come across an issue like this before or can provide some additional suggestions for troubleshooting the problem?
they use #24awg wire. it's really cheap i broke a conductor moving my plugs around so mine doesn't work anymore either

always use #18awg str or bigger for wiring in cars.

also i wouldn't bother with oem interior lighting. the light output is so minimal you probably won't notice it in even the darkest of areas :(

AlienPrime - That's what I was gonna do next, actually pull the harness out and inspect it for any faulty connectors. I guess we could just run wires directly to the 5-pin connector and eliminate it all together.

Webby - Yeah, a bit of research on our part before trying to add these aftermarket LED's would have been the way to go instead of dealing with this mess. Hindsight, 20/20....MEH!

So our saga ends. Lesson to be learned...when pulling fuses always make sure to put them back in the correct spot.

T50HgP2.jpg

Thanks for the help guys, you really got the brain juices flowing.

Last edited:
Back