iPhone 5, Pandora, and other music quirks in 2013 Civic Si

G. Pasarescu

Hi everyone,

Have any of you noticed a couple of quirks with how music streams from your iPhone 5 through the '13 Civic Si's audio system (w/o Navi)? I am referring specifically to two quirks:

1. If you plug in your iPhone into the Civic's USB port and then start up the car, music will begin to stream to the audio system via the USB connection. About 10 seconds into the music stream, however, the audio will cut out completely and does not come back on via the USB connection unless you disconnect and reconnect the Lightening cable to the iPhone. Is there any other way to fix this annoyance outside of physically connecting / disconnecting the phone to the system?

2. I recently installed Pandora to my iPhone. Before Pandora, I was able to toggle between Bluetooth audio and the USB connection. Now, instead of the USB connection, I only have the option to toggle between Bluetooth audio and Pandora. What do you think happened to the USB connection option in my Civic's audio system? It seems as though the Pandora functionality replaced the USB connection.

Interestingly, even if Pandora is not running on my phone, it will automatically start playing when I plug in my phone to the USB connection and start up the car. I can "override" this by manually launching the iPhone's Music app and selecting a song from there, which then pauses Pandora and plays music from the Music app. However, none of the song information that used to be displayed on the iMid (before I installed Pandora and it replaced the USB connection icon in the iMid) comes up -- only a message stated "PANDORA paused..."

Anyone else seeing this in their Civic? I normally listen to my own tunes via the Music app on the iPhone, so I don't want Pandora to be the one that plays its music by default. I'd love to have that functionality for occasion use, but get my USB connection back to how it used to work (displaying song info, album covers, etc.).

Yes, I know, these are my First World problems, but problems nonetheless...

Really enjoying the car though!

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
G.

What your explaining is how mine works as well. I do have Nav so keep that in mind.

When I start the car and Pandora is running on my phone the music starts right away and then pauses when my phone connects to Bluetooth. All I have to do is hit the play button on my Nav and it starts up again.

If the Pandora app is not running on my phone, the music app will start vice Pandora. You need to ensure that Pandora is not running on your phone though. Try killing the process. Even though it's not displayed on the screen, it's still running in the background.

Thanks for responding, Andre. Regarding #1, I will try pressing play on the steering wheel controls after the audio cuts out to see if that starts the music playing through the USB connection again.

Regarding #2, it may be that Pandora was running in the background once or twice, but I am pretty sure that I no app was running on the iPhone when I plugged it in and when Pandora started automagically. I will verify this. At any rate, when Pandora is NOT running on your phone and your Music app starts, can you see the song information, album artwork, etc.?

Thanks again,
G.

Good luck with the tests. Let us know how it goes.

To respond to your question, yes the song info shows up in the imid display.

OK, so I clearly need to get to know my car.

Once I made sure Pandora was not running on my phone, I plugged it into the USB connection (after the Bluetooth connection occurred) and it started playing music from the Music app on my phone. Everything showed up on the iMid display (song title, artist info, artwork) as it should. Thank you for that tip! Looks like it worked like it should. Next time I have troubles with Pandora, I'll be sure that the Pandora app is not running on my phone.

I then "reset" everything and tried turning on the car with the phone already plugged into the USB connection. As anticipated, the music started playing from the Music app through the USB connection. Once the Bluetooth connection occurred, however, the music stopped playing. That's when I realized that I have no "play" button on my steering wheel or on the console. Doh! So I tried to cycle through the source options, but the music could not be heard through the USB connection when I came back around to it. It only worked when I unplugged the phone and plugged it in again to the Lightening --> USB cable.

I guess I'll need to get into the habit of plugging in the phone AFTER the Bluetooth connection occurs.

Thanks again!
G.

With the Nav there is a play button on the display. What if you hit the play button on your phone when it pauses?

Back