Is your Si burning oil and is it part of the TSB VIN range or not

Is your oil burning Si in the TSB range or not?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Not in range,4800 miles and not one drop, looks the same as day 1(wew).

Mine was in the Vin range number xxx0619 burned over 3quarts in 5000miles. Dealer did nothing so unfortunately I traded for a 13si...they put it right back out for sale next day on lot. I feel bad for the next owner. The air filter was even covered in oil

Mine was in the Vin range number xxx0619 burned over 3quarts in 5000miles. Dealer did nothing so unfortunately I traded for a 13si...they put it right back out for sale next day on lot. I feel bad for the next owner. The air filter was even covered in oil

That's messed up. Did they know about the issue when you told them about it?

That's messed up. Did they know about the issue when you told them about it?

Oh yes they most certainly did I was there 10 weeks consecutively every Thursday to have them 'check' my oil. They told me it was normal to do that... Purchased car in 10/2011 got rid of the pos car 2/2013 with 6000miles and barely any oil on the dipstick

Oh yes they most certainly did I was there 10 weeks consecutively every Thursday to have them 'check' my oil. They told me it was normal to do that... Purchased car in 10/2011 got rid of the pos car 2/2013 with 6000miles and barely any oil on the dipstick

That's ridiculous. I dont get how some of these stealerships work that have no idea what's going on most of the time, like with the rev-hang issue for example. Some dealerships are fixing the problem and some are saying they have never even heard of it.

They screwed you on the trade by as much as $2,000.

$5,000 plus about $780 in gas ($3.90/gal for 6,000 miles) = $5,780, or almost $1.00/mile.

There's usually a 3 day period to undo a car deal. If you haven't had the 2013 for 3 days, consider turning it in, walk away and have a different dealershp do the warranty work on the engine, even if you have to drive to another state. If it's too late for any of that, call Honda America and complain a blue streak about the dealer you've spent so much time and money on. Honda America seems to hate its dealers anyway. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Last edited:
They screwed you on the trade by as much as $2,000.

$5,000 plus about $780 in gas ($3.90/gal for 6,000 miles) = $5,780, or almost $1.00/mile.

There's usually a 3 day period to undo a car deal. If you haven't had the 2013 for 3 days, consider turning it in, walk away and have a different dealershp do the warranty work on the engine, even if you have to drive to another state. If it's too late for any of that, call Honda America and complain a blue streak about the dealer you've spent so much time and money on. Honda America seems to hate its dealers anyway. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Yeah they have the car now listed for $21,000 I already spoke with corporate about the oil issue several times they said it's up to the dealership for repair. I know I got screwed one way or another

Yeah they have the car now listed for $21,000 I already spoke with corporate about the oil issue several times they said it's up to the dealership for repair. I know I got screwed one way or another

Well, you did the right thing getting Honda involved, and you have a great 2013 Si, so it's hard to complain about that. And they gave you a good deal on the '13. So there ya go. You're on your way. I'd find another dealer for the future though, if there's one anywhere nearby.

Last edited:
S/N FB6 701137 Just had 1st service at 7757 miles - right at 1 qt low. Same service rep that denied rev hang said had to be > 1 qt in 3000 miles. He claimed no knowledge of the TSB.
Getting ready to do the Southern Run and will watch to see if it continues. Because it runs so good, I hate to tear it down unless consumption increases.
Other than that we're still happy with our 2012 DBP Si Sedan.

Update - Just turned 14,000 miles and oil is still near FULL mark (down less than 2oz in 6,300+ miles).
Car's running great (stock) - Glad I didn't panic and force rebuild. MPG is holding steady at 32, worst 29.7 high 36.2 (actual).

Second Oil Change at 17,642 miles 9,859 on this run (9,796 to 0%) - down 16 oz. (1/2 quart). Still averaging 32+ mpg. Best 37.7 actual highway @ 65. I'm happy!

Last edited:
S/N FB6 701137 Just had 1st service at 7757 miles - right at 1 qt low. Same service rep that denied rev hang said had to be > 1 qt in 3000 miles. He claimed no knowledge of the TSB.
Getting ready to do the Southern Run and will watch to see if it continues. Because it runs so good, I hate to tear it down unless consumption increases.
Other than that we're still happy with our 2012 DBP Si Sedan

It is such a shame to see fellow owners grappling with problems like this with brand new cars. If my brand-spanking new car was using oil at the rate of 1 qt per 7700 miles like yours, and a dealer told me it had to be greater than that, you can be darned sure the next time he saw it, it would show >1qt per 3000 miles. I'd have the warranty work done, then get rid of it. That Honda has not taken this relatively small group of owners aside, leveled with them, and offered them something, like a swap into a '13 or a new '12 at no cost to them, is shameful. They must instead resort to self-help and worry.

I just hope this all works out for you.

Last edited:
It is such a shame to see fellow owners grappling with problems like this with brand new cars. If my brand-spanking new car was using oil at the rate of 1 qt per 7700 miles like yours, and a dealer told me it had to be greater than that, you can be darned sure the next time he saw it, it would show >1qt per 3000 miles. I'd have the warranty work done, then get rid of it. That Honda has not taken this relatively small group of owners aside, leveled with them, and offered them something, like a swap into a '13 or a new '12 at no cost to them, is shameful. They must resort to self-help and worry.

I just hope this all works out for you.

A new car should not burn oil. No car I ever owned burned oil from the cheapest most embarrassing one to current Si. I understand Honda not wanting to make it a recall but I am sure a bit of noise to corporate will get it done.

Not nice of Honda to make each owner jump through the hoops.

At the same time nothing new under the sun, Subaru for example ignores first year problems on a car and just silently fixes them in the next year. Not going to bother to mention the North American brands.

Last edited:
A new car should not burn oil. No car I ever owned burned oil from the cheapest most embarrassing one to current Si. I understand Honda not wanting to make it a recall but I am sure a bit of noise to corporate will get it done.

Not nice of Honda to make each owner jump through the hoops.

At the same time nothing new under the sun, Subaru for example ignores first year problems on a car and just silently fixes them in the next year. Not going to bother to mention the North American brands.

My '68 Road Runner burned a quart every 625 miles - but talk about run!!! Unfortunately the Berkshire salt ate it up after 18 years and 169,000 miles! - My first love.

My '68 Road Runner burned a quart every 625 miles - but talk about run!!! Unfortunately the Berkshire salt ate it up after 18 years and 169,000 miles! - My first love.

I hear you, but tolerances are so tight these days that there is no break in for motors, even the cheapest ones. A 2012 Anything from Anyone Motors should not burn oil.

Think about it . . . how "green" is that, burning oil?

They use water colors to paint our cars to save the planet and they chip and scratch just looking at them, but you can burn a quart of oil every 3,000 miles, no sweat, planet's fine?

Last edited:
My '68 Road Runner burned a quart every 625 miles

and a gallon of gas every 11 miles! Ah, America was great then. I remember a kid getting dropped off at school each day by his MOM, who was driving an orange or yellow Roadrunner with the Huge four foot wing on the back! Brand spanking new, too. I don't remember what year they did that wing.

I need to rephrase then. Any new 1980+ car ;) I would say Japanese but I am sure some of them also did burn oil. All new cars I bought since the 90s had no oil issues. In this day and age for a consumer car it is not acceptable I think.

Last edited:
My new 12 Si HFP burned 2 quarts in the first 10,000 kms and when i inquired at the dealership they said that that was normal for these cars
Have to see what it is like in the spring when i start driving it again and unfortunately my si is not in the TSB range and i can't afford to trade it in for a 13'
I have a 02 F-150 that leaks oil and doesn't leak as much as my *New* car uses between oil changes, Go Figure

Back