Is your Si burning oil and is it part of the TSB VIN range or not

Is your oil burning Si in the TSB range or not?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Just an FYI, I wouldn't follow the maintenance minder at all. Change the oil every 6000km (3700 mi) to 8000 km (5000 miles). My wife had a demo CR-V that went 17000 km (10500 mi) before it called for an oil change. Problem is that the maintenance minder doesn't know how much oil is in the crankcase (see your owner's manual - check the oil at every gasoline fill up). I have seen some bad things ... only on the 2.0's and 2.4's though... 1.8's seem to be OK

Just an FYI, I wouldn't follow the maintenance minder at all. Change the oil every 6000km (3700 mi) to 8000 km (5000 miles). My wife had a demo CR-V that went 17000 km (10500 mi) before it called for an oil change. Problem is that the maintenance minder doesn't know how much oil is in the crankcase (see your owner's manual - check the oil at every gasoline fill up). I have seen some bad things ... only on the 2.0's and 2.4's though... 1.8's seem to be OK

I've always followed the maintenance minder on my 8th gen with no issues. I continue the same with my Si. I check my oil at least twice a month though. Luckily it hasn't been down at all so far.

I've always followed the maintenance minder on my 8th gen with no issues. I continue the same with my Si. I check my oil at least twice a month though. Luckily it hasn't been down at all so far.
I'm just saying I've seen premature timing chain wear, primarily on Accords, primarily on manual transmission models... and I'm talking long before you'd replace a timing belt (if it had one). Think about it - 17000 km between oil changes... that's 6 oil changes at 100 000 km (60 000 mi). Doesn't that just seem wrong? Like I said the 1.8l seems immune...have yet to see a stretched chain on a Civic on anything other than an Si

Last edited:
Depends on your driving habits. My wife had an hour and a half drive to work each day one way - mostly country roads. I figure that changing the oil is the cheapest bit of maintenance you can do - so why cheap out?

Yep. It's best to do what you feel. It's a cheap bit of maintenance for the car.

I saw the service bulletin a few days ago on this site my vin is part of it so I took it in and they orderd the parts that day got it in yesterday dropped the car off, today I stopped by and they has the head off already it helps that all the mechanics are your friends as well as the service department reps lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362807286.583485.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362807295.867353.jpg

I saw the service bulletin a few days ago on this site my vin is part of it so I took it in and they orderd the parts that day got it in yesterday dropped the car off, today I stopped by and they has the head off already it helps that all the mechanics are your friends as well as the service department reps lol

Its nice to see they're doing it no questions asked. I understand that some dealers a reluctant to dive in on this TSB. As Honda realizes the issue (not enough tension on the oil scraper rings) it should be a lay down repair.

I see your mechanic buddies are doing the re-ring job in car as per the TSB...in car...its pretty tough doing it that way.

Last edited:
Its nice to see they're doing it no questions asked. I understand that some dealers a reluctant to dive in on this TSB. As Honda realizes the issue (not enough tension on the oil scraper rings) it should be a lay down repair.

I see your mechanic buddies are doing the re-ring job in car as per the TSB...in car...its pretty tough doing it that way.

I know it looked difficult I asked them why you guys never just yank the whole long block out and they told well you do em then haha I told em nah I'm good your the ones getting paid $24 an hour but my pistons were all black but when they took out the pistons I checked the cylinder walls and no scratches so that's a plus

I know it looked difficult I asked them why you guys never just yank the whole long block out and they told well you do em then haha I told em nah I'm good your the ones getting paid $24 an hour but my pistons were all black but when they took out the pistons I checked the cylinder walls and no scratches so that's a plus
You can have the whole shooting match (engine, trans and wire harness) out of that puppy darn quick

and a gallon of gas every 11 miles! Ah, America was great then. I remember a kid getting dropped off at school each day by his MOM, who was driving an orange or yellow Roadrunner with the Huge four foot wing on the back! Brand spanking new, too. I don't remember what year they did that wing.

1970 and they were wild! The Charger was called the Daytona. My Runner actually got 13-15 mpg in town and 17 on the hiway much of it at 90 or better on the long runs.
I have 2 memories of the wife driving - I-65 between Auburn and Mobile, Al when she was cruising at 110 and an Alabama State Trooper had trouble passing her - he didn't even waive - Ah women!
I-10 in Arizona I woke up and we're going 90+ in heavy fog. I had installed an early model driving light, actually an air craft landing light that lit up the road for 1/2 mile!

Last edited:
My 2012 Civic Si 4-Door is not in the VIN range - it is an H2xxxxx, but it does burn oil. added 1L at 4600 km, another 1/2L at 6400 km. took it into Honda got oil changed at 7000 km and they said it was not normal and to bring it back for further testing if it continues. Added another 1L at 10000 km. I am taking it in to Honda for regular maintenance, and a door lock recall at end of March. I never thought of taking it in every time it is low, but that is a great suggestion, I will see what they say.

Wasn't quite sure how to answer this but I went with "Yes."

My 2012 Si is in the VIN range for the TSB and it WAS burning oil. I took it in and had the pistons and piston rings replaced under the TSB about two months ago. I've put 2000 miles on the car since then (just rolled over 16K miles today) and, so far, it does not appear to be using any oil.

Don't know if this is relevant or not but, according to the sticker, mine's one of the earlier ones--Mfg by Honda of Canada 10/11. I bought it new in Dec 2011.

More details are over on the original "Does your Si burn oil" thread (if you care to wade thru it all for my 3-5 posts).

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's doing good since the work was done

Back