Isn't it bad to drive an automatic like this?

Jeffuhnator

Hayward
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan

I was looking around for cai's and ran into this video review. I also noticed the car was an automatic and they were shifting between 1, 2, D3 and D. Just as if it were a manual. Won't it hurt the car?

Im sure the torque converter won't be super pleased with you in the long run but I doubt you would do any real damage since the car is controlling the shift. There is no clutch to burn up and if you think about it, the computer is controlling the shift so it won't let you "mess it up" unless you are trying to force it into a lower gear and over rev the engine. Although most newer cars have an override and won't let you do it anyway even if you force the shift lever into the wrong spot.

That said, shifting your automatic like this is no different than those sequential sport shift/tiptronic units if you think about it. Yes, those are probably stronger units anyway. The main reason is the ability to hold it in a gear longer and wind it all the way out to redline. I think thats probably what this guy was doing so he could get a nice long gear and you can hear the sound all the way up the tach. Do it if you like but didn't you buy an automatic so you wouldn't have to shift? Hahahah.

I'm sure that doing this does put more stress on all the components. The computer is programmed to shift your car at the most efficient point so let it do its job. If you really feel the need to hammer on it every once in a while and manually shift it, eh, go for it.

I will say its probably bad to drive an automatic like that since people will think you are an ***-hat in your modded econobox redlining every gear. Hahahaha

Last edited:
Just put it into D3 and drive around like that. It's like a Sport mode. No harm doing that until you get up to highway speeds. Obviously you would burn lots more gas. I wouldn't start in 1st. The revs go up way too high way too quickly, plus all that shifting has got to be harder on components.

He's running it to higher rpm's than it would typically see. This has to result in a shorter life, and will mean having to tear into the tranny sooner than needed.

Life's full of choices.

I manually shift my automatic, mostly D3/2nd for tight turns for engine braking & accelerating(no I don't take it to red line in either case, about 5 to 6 k). I also use it smoothly in all cases.(meaning it gets help from my foot brake & or hand brake).
1st will run in 1st only; 2nd will run in 2nd only; D3 will run in 1st to 3rd(serving at the pleasure of the "box"); D will run in 1st though 5th(serving at the pleasure of the "box").

Just put it into D3 and drive around like that. It's like a Sport mode. No harm doing that until you get up to highway speeds. Obviously you would burn lots more gas. I wouldn't start in 1st. The revs go up way too high way too quickly, plus all that shifting has got to be harder on components.

So just driving in D3 would be fine to do in the city?

I manually shift my automatic, mostly D3/2nd for tight turns for engine braking & accelerating(no I don't take it to red line in either case, about 5 to 6 k). I also use it smoothly in all cases.(meaning it gets help from my foot brake & or hand brake).
1st will run in 1st only; 2nd will run in 2nd only; D3 will run in 1st to 3rd(serving at the pleasure of the "box"); D will run in 1st though 5th(serving at the pleasure of the "box").

The explanation of 1, 2, D3, D makes everything make more sense, but the computer would know that you're in 3rd gear if you put it in D, right? Doing so wouldn't throw off the computer?

I drive 2- D on the daily, cant get out of the habit of driving a manual :( As long as you know when to shift and not do something stupid like putting it into 2 at 50+mph or shifting it without letting off the gas youll be fine. I did this on the daily with my last car as well before I converted to a Manual. At least in this case, my other half still can drive the car.

So just driving in D3 would be fine to do in the city?

The explanation of 1, 2, D3, D makes everything make more sense, but the computer would know that you're in 3rd gear if you put it in D, right? Doing so wouldn't throw off the computer?
Yes, that would be correct, but we also have a line(rpm range) where the car wants to go from 3 to 4 or 4 to 3 and just keep jumping back and forth, because where we hold the throttle may just be in that zone, "so keeping it at a constant throttle with out the gear jumping, we put the gearstick(selector) in D3, now we can give or let off the gas and it'll stay smooth.

Same with 2nd, if we're jumping between 2 & 3.

I've driven nothing but ST since the mid 1950's, till I got this car and thought I'd like to try an automatic(I can't Beach if I haven't tried it). But, I'm finding it's fun to learn the paths to controlling it like a ST, Since being retired from driving semi's as well as other car, & MC's, that I feel I can say I've mastered the manual shift(there's all ways a fast gun in town.......but). So now I'm working at AM trans mastering, but I think it's fun in my book to try.

Back