Just went in for a test drive!!!!

spdandpwr

NY / CT
Hi there,

Many of you know me as a previous owner of an 8th gen. Accordingly, when I saw the 9th, I was eager to try it out but I couldn't find a car at the time I needed it in November. So, I ended up getting a Acura TSX.

Long story short, I don't really like the tsx because it isn't particularly fun to drive and it's more of a relaxing cruiser than a backroad brawler. Since I love sporting around, I decided to take another look at dealer inventories this afternoon and came across a black 4dr si at my local dealer. I went into the dealer, told them I was trading in my, basically, brand new tsx, and was handed keys.

Initial impression of the car: it feels a little plasticky, but not nearly as bad as everyone says and, having recently drove an 8th gen, it's almost comparable in quality. The seats are ugly, though. They have this weird pattern on them that I did not like whatsoever. I felt like the pictures are deceiving in that regard. There are also a lot of colors going on in the interior...some trip pieces are lighter shades than others and it doesn't come together very well, especially as compared to the outgoing si.

In terms of driving dynamics, the car felt plenty quick...and quicker, in fact, than the 8th gen I drove days before. It climbs the rev band with the same fervor that the old si had, but gear shifts come sooner because there are less rpms to go through. Vtec is also not as pronounced or exhilarating, both, in terms of feel and sound. Shifts are crisp, smooth, and easy, not requiring any fiddling to get the gear in. The clutch release sits significantly higher than the previous gen and makes me less inclined to give it praise. Simple rolling of the clutch to get the car going is not viable in the new si....you need to release the clutch at about quarter of the way from the top in order for the car to start moving...otherwise you are just building the revs and rolling with the wind. Rev hang is more pronounced at lower revs, I felt...but it helps because it's harder to slip the clutch out between smooth, non-aggressive shifts. Coming from the old si, it was hard not to release the clutch too soon -- it'll take a couple of miles to get used to for sure. Something to be mindful of: since the release sits higher, it requires a bit more strain from your foot in terms of the muscle sustaining an elevated/lifted position, so you may want to give this car a good test drive to see if it becomes a problem...for me, this may be problematic in extended stop-and-go traffic because I sit so high.

My biggest gripe was how hideous the stereo looks on the non-navi version -- makes me only want the car if it has navi. Also, where is the temperature gauge? I had no clue whether or not it was ok to vtec when I was in the test drive.

All in all, not a bad package and definitely something I'll consider...I just need to source a red si with navi.

My biggest gripe was how hideous the stereo looks on the non-navi version -- makes me only want the car if it has navi. Also, where is the temperature gauge? I had no clue whether or not it was ok to vtec when I was in the test drive.

very true Navi is the only way to go. i too was looking for a temp guage but could not find one and after reading the owners manual i come to find out there is just a low temp light and a high temp light. the low temp light (blue in color) looks just like a normal temp light and is only on when the car is warming up.

Congrats!

Was your TSX a manual or auto? I'm putting a deposit down on a new TSX SE 6spd this Friday. :)

I just sold my '08 TSX which was an auto and slow but the 6spd should be noticeably quicker.

^I haven't actually pulled the trigger yet, just strongly considering it. I have an auto tsx...I heard the manuals are great!

^I haven't actually pulled the trigger yet, just strongly considering it. I have an auto tsx...I heard the manuals are great!

LOL....sorry, guess I read your post to quickly. :D

I had an 8th gen Si as well and looked at the 9th gen during the auto show and just couldn't get past the step back on interior quality. Then I looked at the TSX SE and was very impressed (though I hate that they got larger). I was also going to wait and check out the new ILX until they posted that the 2.4l was going to start around 30k. For that price it just made more sense to go with the TSX as it looks better both inside and out. I'd wait and see if they do any interior updates to the 2013 Si. ;)

I was thinking about going with the ilx. Are you saying it's 30k fully loaded with the 2.4, or is that starting price? because 30k is about the same price as a new tsx se with 6spd, or at least that is what you can bargain them for.

If you have not owned a WRX yet like k757 said check it out. But hey after 2 rex's i find the the Si to be just as fun in the twisties.

I was thinking about going with the ilx. Are you saying it's 30k fully loaded with the 2.4, or is that starting price? because 30k is about the same price as a new tsx se with 6spd, or at least that is what you can bargain them for.

My thoughts exactly! Not sure what Acura is thinking with that pricing...

Dealer gave me price of $29,420 on the SE with 6spd....but to be fair that would likely mean the ILX 2.4l could be had for around $28k.

^its harder to negotiate pricing on a brand new car (1st couple of months out) than a car that's about to be cut from the lineup. Honestly think it was a bad move to sell a smaller, less luxurious car, for the same money. I guess it has more features, but it is what it is.

You know I had to say this. Go test drive a WRX. It meets all your criteria.

-Keith
'11 WRX & '99 2.3CL

I would, but subaru is stingy with credit (I have 3 auto loans under my name). Honda is the only company that will allow me to jump in and out of cars as I please. I could try hyundai since my other auto loan is with them, but we'll have to see -- the genesis isn't particularly compelling.

^its harder to negotiate pricing on a brand new car (1st couple of months out) than a car that's about to be cut from the lineup. Honestly think it was a bad move to sell a smaller, less luxurious car, for the same money. I guess it has more features, but it is what it is.

True...unless they aren't selling as expected, which wouldn't surprise me if the pricing ends up being true. :D

I do like that it's smaller, but not that it's less luxurious. The inside doesn't look too bad though and appears to be a large step above the Civic. If the 2.4l had a starting price of about $27k I'd be more interested. I also dislike that they hid the exhaust tips and feel it lacks the sportier look the TSX and TL have.

Back