K&N R18 drop in makes my car misfire .... help

Ron Flood

Haida Gwaii
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
hello, just installed a K&N replacement filter on my R18. i was just curious if it sounded any louder... pressed on the gas, and yes the engine was already warmed up, at about 4300 its like the rev limiter is kicking in... i have used K&N air filter in the past and never ever encountered problems... its almost like the oil fouled my plugs, but I cant see that happening, anyone else have any suggestions?

Swap the old filter back in and see if it quits. Wouldn't think a filter change would cause that :confused:

Wait... R18. Is it an auto? May be rev limited at that rpm while in park. My charger was.

its the first K&N swap i ever did that acted up on me, took her for a spin... seemed to get rid of excess oil... even after that my exhaust smelled smokey... almost seem like they did had a bad batch of oil when they oiled it..... worse comes to worse, i'll clean it and re-oil.... actually for the first time with my new civic, the intake is louder than the exhaust... lol but yes you're right Bulkybear, the old paper filter fixes it, but im a skickler for K&N filters....

auto???? nah yes its a sedan... but not an auto... lol good ol stick for this cowboy.. ;)

hahaha you're absolutely right, it only does it when your wheels arent moving... strange i never noticed that until now... lol now im wondering if its not part of stabilty control.. ? when the car is in gear and moving its not an issue...

If its like my charger its because revving without a load on the motor is hard on it, so they limit what it will rev to while stopped (wheelspeed or by transmission being in park). That being said I wonder why my Si doesn't have that, I always thought it was because it was a manual, but yours is too...

yes its definitely there.. i guess i never revved it when idle.... i do realize drive by wire is very different tho....

Back