Lease upgrades?

Michael Perez

Miami, FL
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys i have a leased SI and i may or may not purchase it toward the end of the lease. but what can be done to a leased car? does it void the warranty or lease agreement?

Thanks Mike

I know there are subaru wrx/sti owners who've done major mods to their engines under a lease and then returned them to stock when they had to turn them in. I'd just avoid going to the extreme with mods if you're unsure about buying it out.

doesnt major mods and ten returning to stock a waste of money? lol
also what voids waranty??

thanks

could be considered a waste of money, but some abuse their lease and ditch it... knowing they don't have to deal with it after their lease is up.

As for warranty -
Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal...period.

Examples where the dealership will not cover your repairs under warranty
You install an aftermarket air dam system to channel more air to the cold air intake system that you installed. The air dam system causes the vehicle to overheat because it restricts airflow over the radiator. As a result of overheating, the engine blows a head gasket and a cylinder head is warped. The car is still under warranty. You take it to your dealer and they determine that the aftermarket air dam system caused the overheating and thus the cylinder head damage and gasket failure. The carmaker is not obligated to perform any repairs under the provisions of the warranty.

im really considering it.. and maybe CT engineering in my future lol. i just like the simplicity. what do u guys think about the never ending war between turbo and SC? and reliable brands?

some dealerships will actually install the ct superchargers and warranty them under honda. Talk to CT about it. They used to do it on past models.

doesnt major mods and ten returning to stock a waste of money? lol
also what voids waranty??

thanks
you waste even more money if you mod it and turn in the car modified, because not only do you lose the parts, you WILL be charged for any modifications on the car that are more than minor cosmetic pieces. check your lease terms, but it's generally accepted that you will return the vehicle in the same condition you took it home, save for the mileage and reasonable wear and tear. in my experience working with Honda, most lease inspectors were former insurance adjusters, and they specifically looked for any damage, excessive wear and tear, and non-OEM parts when performing the end-of-lease inspection.

i guess i could do an intake for now... and take it off before service. i plan on buying the car, hopefully, in the future.
does anyone know the service intervals for these new hondas?

i guess i could do an intake for now... and take it off before service. i plan on buying the car, hopefully, in the future.
does anyone know the service intervals for these new hondas?

You do not need to take it off if you decide to go to the dealership for a service.

As far as intervals go, the iMid will let you know.

^ that. You just need to return the car to stock when you turn it in. Not every time you have work done.

Right now I drive a 2010 Civic (lease) which ends soon and I'm going to trade up to a new Si. I just put an intake, Si muffler, and 2 subs on which I'm taking off and selling before giving my car back in. I always got my services done at honda though, and I never got any trouble for what I did to the car.

Back