Looked at my first 2012 Si in person

NitrousG35

On Saturday, Joshua [my son] and I went to a local Honda dealership. They had a CBP Si Coupe. Sorry, forgot the Honda nomenclature. Is it FG4? Anyway, it is quite stunning in person. The lines are really lines, especially the sweep back from the roof to the rear of the car. The interior is nice, however the seats seem to have less side bolstering than before.

Gettiing on with the technical discussion, we popped the hood and took a look-see. The engine bay is really tight and there is very little extra space. The intake is what I looked at. The intake tube is much larger than the K20Z3. The airbox is also much bigger. However, the design will limit intake options. The battery is in the way, which will preclude a CAI. The intake would either have to be a SRI, or it would have to be routed at an angle down towards the front of the car.

I got under the car and for sure, the car will benefit from a 3" exhaust. Full Race already has one in the works. Since the head design incorporates the integral exhaust manifold, I think a larger downpipe would benefit the car, much like downpipes on cars like the Evo and STi.

From what I gather, cams will work the same as on the K20Z3 or other K series engines. With the greater displacement, I would look at IPS KME's or K10's, or better yet, the new cams that Nikos is coming out with from his new company, "Superior Valve Motion".

The intake is kind of neat. The runners are more individual than a plenum as used on a RBC as used on the K20Z3. The outer intake runners are a black plastic, botled to aluminum short runners that bolt to the intake side of the head. It will be interesting to see how the stock intake flows and if any gains could be made by using an RRC or RBC that is ported. My guess is that the stock intake is going to flow pretty well with some porting.

So, for a N/A car, a higher flowing drop in filter, larger downpipe, HFC and 3" exhaust coupled with some aggressive cams should really make a stout street package. And then of course, it would seem this engine is tailor made for turbochargiing. Imagine a Full Race kit with cams and a 3" exhaust. You would have a beast to say the least.

Let's just hope that Hondata is reading this and preparing a FlashPro version for this engine. They are going to come out with FP for the Honda CR-Z this December. Let's put a spur in the sides of the aftermarket to begin to make performance upgrades.

I'm not a fan of the intake manifold seems plastic. Haven't been under one yet but hope to be soon. The intake is nice and try took out the rubbing problem with the radiator hose which is nice. A relocation of the battery and you'll be able to do a grey custom CAI. When I getbubder I'll be able to see the head exhaust placement but I'm sure looking forward to see what people do and what comes out. As for turbo it usually is a great option. I supercharged my 8th and it is rather tight but wouldn't get rid of it ;-). I heard a few turbos are in the works do we will see of course what the gains are. A few companies are timid like when the 8ths started to do mods but once they really start it'll increase quickly with variety. The 9th being so new dealers are selling 8ths for cheep and the upgrades are goin quickly too. Skunk2 for example keeps selling out on there site.

Back