Looking into a new 12 si

cleanablefriend

Hey how are you all doing? I am looking at picking up a 2012 civic si and I had some questions about performance. I am going to be trading in my VW 08 R32 for the si for reasons of being better on gas plus I would like to have a 6MT again. As for my R I am putting down 210ish to the wheels. I haven't had her on a dyno yet but a few friends of mine with the same mods as I have are in the ball park of 210. I was wondering how much would I have to spend while staying n/a to get around 195-200 to the wheels? I also am looking into doing some autox and was wondering if anyone had any input as to weather or not the stock suspension is decent enough or if I should jump right into an aftermarket set up. Thank you for your time.

You would need Flashpro: $700
A down pipe: $400-$600
Exhaust: $400ish
Intake: $300ish

All of that will get you around 200whp. For good measure you would want to add an Intake Manifold, which, combined with everything else, should get you around 220whp. $200-300ish.

You will also want to take into account a tune. Either online through VitViper or a local Dyno shop.

Prices are rough estimates to the best of my memory and may vary. No fear though, others will chime in to correct me if necessary.

Last edited:
Wow that is a lot cheaper than I expected even if they are estimates. Is it recommended to upgrade the clutch at that power or is the stock one pretty solid for that amount of power?

Wow that is a lot cheaper than I expected even if they are estimates. Is it recommended to upgrade the clutch at that power or is the stock one pretty solid for that amount of power?

I recall reading that the clutch, injectors, and fuel pump are good up to about 300-350whp.

Stock clutch can handle many applications, even FI.

That is impressive, what is a common aftermarket exhaust pipe size?

2.5", 3", 3.5", and 4"(might just be tip diameter) can be found at this point I believe. There is some speculation as to what size is best to use depending on whether or not you are going the FI route. I will let others chime in on that, though.

As Dar-Dar said, though, 3" is the most common.

Last edited:
I don't know if I want to do F/I or not. But even with 3 inch pipes does that cause the engine to lose back pressure?

That is largely going to depend on the exhaust chosen, other mods, and tune.
:yeahthat:

We have a few members here running 3" exhausts on their N/A setups without having any issues.

Alright that makes sense. Coming from my R32 a 3 inch exhaust would cause me to lose power. This will be my second N/A car I will build up so I am still learning the ins and outs. For intakes i know sri on these cars doesn't do as much as a cai but should I be to worried about sucking up water? I live in the north east and when it rains around my town large puddles tend to build up so I'm not sure if I should worry or not.

Alright that makes sense. Coming from my R32 a 3 inch exhaust would cause me to lose power. This will be my second N/A car I will build up so I am still learning the ins and outs. For intakes i know sri on these cars doesn't do as much as a cai but should I be to worried about sucking up water? I live in the north east and when it rains around my town large puddles tend to build up so I'm not sure if I should worry or not.

A CAI is always a judgment call on the owner based on their environment and trepidation.

I am just curious as to why the stock air box is run the way it is. Most air boxes i have seen point right towards the grill and not away from it.

I

I'm in the northeast too and wouldn't consider a cai. The upside is minimal given all the other mods you plan on, and the downside could be catastrophic. Others may disagree.

Last edited:
I am just curious as to why the stock air box is run the way it is. Most air boxes i have seen point right towards the grill and not away from it.

Think of it as a modified CAI. It does a good job trying to pull cooler air that is not in the engine compartment.

Last edited:
Hybrid Racing made a 3.5" cold air intake for the 8thgens. It will fit your car if you run the RBC intake manifold. This cold air intake also has a really good bypass valve that will ensure that the engine doesn't hydro lock. Hybrid Racing also tested it by submerging the filter in a bucket full of water while the car was on! The engine wasn't harmed at all.

If you want to get a good intake that isn't a CAI, I'd recommend the Momentum Greddy or Takeda intake.

Back