Loose steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat' started by snahfu, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:43 PM.

1. snahfu

snahfu Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I installed some 20mm wheel spacers and loved the way it stiffened up the steering wheel. The car felt more stable in general. About 3 months later, I noticed the steering wheel is really loose to a point where when I'm going 65-70 on highways, I'll really need to grip the steering wheel hard since it feels like strong winds are pushing the car left and right.

I just got my wheels balanced but after it was completed,the mechanic said a balance or wheel alignment didnt seem like the problem. He suggested possibly the wheel spacers itself or I could replace the steering fluid (but I believe my 2014 civic lx does not using power steering fluid).

Could it be a tire rod issue? When turning the wheel left and right, I do not hear any noise.

Again car is a 2014 civic lx with 67,000 miles on it.

Any suggestions as to what I can try before I remove the spacers?

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf Active Member

Vehicle Model:
    honda SI 2013 35% tinted glass coupe 136mph! SRT-4 180+! VFR-800-11750 rpm 10.9 1/4 130+! Neon 2001!
    Body Style:
    coupe
    look for marks on the spacers, seems like a tire shop might be able to fix it.

3. freggie

freggie Well-Known Member

retorque the wheel spacers too