Lowering Springs?

Honda-Fan

Dallas, Texas
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Coupe
Hey Everybody!

I have a question, but before you yell at me in all caps, I did try to Google it, and got all sorts of stuff! Anyway-- about how much is like... a ballpark guesstimate for the labor on installing lowering springs with performance shocks at a shop? I'm not kidding when I say I am deathly afraid of a spring shooting out from my car's nether-regions.

...I probably should have reworded that, but you get the idea!

Thanks!

Hey Everybody!

I have a question, but before you yell at me in all caps, I did try to Google it, and got all sorts of stuff! Anyway-- about how much is like... a ballpark guesstimate for the labor on installing lowering springs with performance shocks at a shop? I'm not kidding when I say I am deathly afraid of a spring shooting out from my car's nether-regions.

...I probably should have reworded that, but you get the idea!

Thanks!
To answer your first question; probably around $100-$200. It's honestly not worth it having someone do it for you. I've done two different sets of springs on my car (Eibach Sportlines and my current Truhart ones) and it's not THAT hard. Sure, it's going to take some time, but it's relatively easy. There are plenty of DIY guides that @webby could link. What brands did you go with?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I would recommend the truhart lowering springs only if you're looking to drop 2". If you want something with about a ~1.5" drop or so, I'd recommend tein or eibach springs. I have the truhart springs like @fg3_colton and they are great. Haven't changed struts yet, but it is a fairly simple task. Like @fg3_colton said, there are plenty of tutorials out there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rear springs are insanely easy. Front ones will take a little tinkering but it's straight forward and easy. The hardest part for me was taking apart the plastic piece by the windeshield wipers lol. Good luck.

Rear springs are insanely easy. Front ones will take a little tinkering but it's straight forward and easy. The hardest part for me was taking apart the plastic piece by the windeshield wipers lol. Good luck.
Those plastic pieces are annoying as hell. Never go back on the same way lol. But honestly, that was the hardest part for me as well. Even re-aligning the windshield wipers was more difficult than the actual spring install lol

Depends on what the labor rates are at the shop that does the work. If you go somewhere that charges $55/hr it's going to be vastly different from a shop charging $100/hr in labor. Figure it'll be 100-250 depending on labor rates.

Well, the brand I landed upon was TruHart for the actual struts; I haven't acquired the springs, yet. I was thinking about getting the matching TruHart springs--How do they compare to the Eibachs?
...And for the price of labor..eh. I'll suck it up and try it myself. I looked up a video on the process, and it looks like there's this awesome spring-compressor tool thing that keeps me from launching springs into... everywhere.

Also! You guys are mentioning taking apart that windshield wiper shroud thingy ...Do I have to remove my wipers during this at some point? :confused:

Thank you for all of your informative replies, by the way.

Well, the brand I landed upon was TruHart for the actual struts; I haven't acquired the springs, yet. I was thinking about getting the matching TruHart springs-- Are their springs any good? How do they compare to the Eibachs?
...And for the price of labor..eh. I'll suck it up and try it myself. I looked up a video on the process, and it looks like there's this awesome spring-compressor tool thing that keeps me from launching springs into... everywhere.

Also! You guys are mentioning taking apart that windshield wiper shroud thingy ...Do I have to remove my wipers during this at some point? :confused:

I prefer the truhart springs over the Eibachs I had. The drop is better and the ride quality is awesome, same goes for the handling which was greatly improved. To answer your next question, yes, you will have to remove the wipers. It's one 17MM bolt, removing them gives you access to a little flap thing that allows you to stick an extension with a 14MM to get the last strut tower bolt (Note: This is on my coupe, I believe the sedan is the same process). I'd suggest also looking into different sway bar end links, one of my friends' bent after installing the truhart springs, mine have bent slightly too. I plan on buying the Whiteline Adjustable ones because I plan on going slightly lower. Good luck! Here to help if you have any other questions.

Well, the brand I landed upon was TruHart for the actual struts; I haven't acquired the springs, yet. I was thinking about getting the matching TruHart springs--How do they compare to the Eibachs?

I put in my springs myself. Only took about 3 hours for all 4 corners. Just have the spring clamps with you before you get started. It's the first big job I did on my car. The truhart springs are a 2" drop, as long as that's ok with you. I live in colorado and haven't had many issues with rubbing or anything from being low. But mostly, I'm proud every time I get in my car knowing that I lowered it with my own hands.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I still have the OEM 15'' wheels, so I think the 2'' drop would help a ton. I went ahead with the matching TruHarts; We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I still have the OEM 15'' wheels, so I think the 2'' drop would help a ton. I went ahead with the matching TruHarts; We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone!

15's? Is it a DX or an LX?

It's an LX coupe. Will the 15'' wheels disrupt anything? I plan to swap them out eventually.

The LX has 16"s I thought, with the weird lookin hubcaps. I have an LX with 16"s and I don't have a problem with the springs. Heres a sort of before and after so you can get an idea of the drop.
94358d8234df7ac58d05d142e4e7612f.jpg
81eceb44ba94d8238d43c3174984abfe.jpg

This is my '13 LX on Skunk2 springs, which is 2" rear and 2.25" front. Mine also came with 15" wheels, but it's on 18" Si wheels now.

Before:
32721240943_67bb44a07e_b.jpg

After:
36378185292_192a08c9a6_b.jpg
Hm. I guess the 12-13 came with 15's on the LX. Didn't know that. Mine came with 16's just thought they all did.

Back