Marine Corps captain sets Lego collection world record with 1,091 completed sets

MrsJrotax101

Administrator
Admin
What about toy soldiers? Marine Corps captain sets Lego collection world record with 1,091 completed sets (and will now take them apart to put back in storage)

One ardent Marine has been collecting Lego sets from the age of five and has now accrued - and built – a staggering 1,091 Lego sets, which are proudly displayed in his home.

The meticulous hobby has earned Captain Kyle Ugone the title of world champion for the most completed Lego sets in a private collection.

But now that Capt. Ugone has the Guinness world record, he says he’ll slowly begin taking down the sets, which are eating up a large area in his Yuma, Arizona home.

article-2092750-117C5982000005DC-304_964x640.jpg

Legoland: A Marine captain now holds the world record for the most privately-owned Lego sets - Capt Kyle Ugone has over one thousand assembled throughout his home

article-2092750-117D6EF2000005DC-553_964x674.jpg

Legos aplenty: Most of Ugone's collection is displayed on tables throughout the house and setup in themes, like trains, Star Wars and space (pictured above)

article-2092750-117D6EEB000005DC-349_964x702.jpg

Everything in its right place: A surprising collection of castles, figures, and other Legos sits atop a pool table, and a toy car collection sits on the nearest table

‘I got my first set as a gift when I was five years old,’ Capt. Ugone told the American Foreign Press Service. ‘It’s a windmill and I still have it today. From there,’ he said, ‘I kept getting more and more sets.’

The Guinness record states he has 1,091 sets, but according to the press service, it’s 1,251 sets.

And they’re not simply starter kits. One contains more than 5,000 individual blocks.

Rooms in Capt. Ugone’s house are full to the brim of Lego sets, which are separated by genre. There are sections devoted to space, others to trains, castles, architecture, and Star Wars.

The Lego enthusiast first got the idea to go for the world record in 2009, after talking to other collectors online.

‘I was talking to a guy who said he wanted to build every set Lego has ever made,’ Capt. Ugone said. However, some sets are incredibly rare. Others are available only in certain parts of the world.

article-2092750-117D6EE7000005DC-30_470x562.jpg

article-2092750-117CCB4D000005DC-771_470x562.jpg

Master collector: Marine Captain Kyle Ugone shows off his Lego Death Star (left) and the Millennium Falcon (right), along with his certificate proving the feat

After contacting Guinness, he discovered that no record yet existed for the most privately-owned Lego sets, but they required at least 500 for a record to be declared.

He said he had around 600 to 700 sets at the time. ’I spent a lot of time scouring the Internet to purchase more sets and built them,’ he said.

Lego is an adaptation of two Dutch words, ‘leg godt,’ meaning ‘play well.’

The company was founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen and quickly gained ground in Denmark and beyond. The brand is famous for its interlocking blocks, a popular children’s pastime.

Most every set has the foundation of interlocking plastic bricks held together with little raised studs.

There are several Legoland parks throughout the world, most famously in California. The park, located in Carlsbad north of San Diego, contains more than 22,000 Lego models, created from a staggering 57million bricks.

Mr Ugone’s latest hobby, he tells the American Forces Press Service, will most likely be restoring an old muscle car. In the meantime, he will slowly disassemble the thousand-plus sets to reclaim some of his space at home.

article-2092750-117D6EF6000005DC-126_964x670.jpg

High tech: An organised bunchof space-themed Lego sets (and motorised robots!) from earlier decades are part of Ugone's staggering collection

Article from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092750/Marine-Corp-Captain-Kyle-Ugone-sets-Lego-collection-world-record-1-091-completed-sets.html

I remember those bright green and blue space sets. Still have em in buckets at the parents house. Early to mid 90's I believe. It's funny to look at the older sets. I think they required more building where I see a lot of the new ones have pre-made pieces you just stick into place.

omg I only have 77 sets and I thought I was crazy having that much......I honestly am running out of room in my spare room. I have two lego sets on the way. Currently building a light house at work like a ninja.

I remember those bright green and blue space sets. Still have em in buckets at the parents house. Early to mid 90's I believe. It's funny to look at the older sets. I think they required more building where I see a lot of the new ones have pre-made pieces you just stick into place.

I went from City lego to Technics, holy a whole different level of building....so many little pieces.

• Staff
I miss the intricate stuff. Gosh I even flew through Tower Bridge even though it was a 16hr build

I bought a set yesterday, wifey came home saw me building it and didnt say a word.......I am going to try to not buy anymore legos until April when the lego store opens up in Vancouver.

I am leaving wifey at home when I go there......she will probably have my head when I get home with the amount of legos I will bring home.

Back