Mature Modding?

sthompson86

Pearl, MS
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Sedan
Ok.. So I have a odd'ish topic. *wordy warning* | Cliff Notes bellow |

I will be 27 this month, and I have a brand new Si Sedan. When I bought the car my goal was some minimal/bolt on modding. Soon after I decided I wanted to build the car for G-Stock AutoX, which equals very minimal modding. Well I have a few caveats with Autox. Let's just say I used to do road course Time Attacks in my long gone RSX-S so AutoX leaves me feeling like there is more to be had, and I just have a personality clash with the AutoX people around here. (They are very "Uppity" if you will) A new caveat with AutoX is that my wife remembers it from back in the day and hates it cause she just sits there. (Sorry she would not be interested in helping run the event to give her something to do) We were actually headed to an AutoX yesterday, and I could tell she was not digging it at all so that bugs me because I cant enjoy something if she is "doing it because its something I like to do"

We both agreed that we enjoyed car shows. She likes the car shows I guess for the atmosphere/music/vendor booths Vs. Autox Sitting and waiting. I used to do a ton of car shows in the long gone RSX-S, for it was a mighty fine "Hard Parker" turned into track car.

So now you have a background of my story.

I would like to mod the car for car shows, but keep it clean yet simple (A stock Integra Type R comes to mind)

What I am reaching out for is a list of Do's and Dont's. As I stated I am 27 I also work in IT. I am not a manager or anything that needs to have a totally "Mature" car, but I do need to keep some sanity to the car because I work with managers and VP's all day.

Here is a quick laundry list of things I would like to do.

Exhaust Invidia N1 = Done, and Silencer in the mail. I knew it was loud, but wow!

Red Honda Badges - Totally dig those.

Takeda Intake - Possible Birthday Present

Honda HFP Suspension - Wanted lowering springs to save cash.. but HFP feels like a more mature route.

Wheels - Not sure sure what to do here. Love love love bronze wheels, but they may just put the car over that edge I am trying to go over..?

I know the Invidia Exhaust put the car over that edge, but I am just going to have to live with that, but for future mods some guidance would be nice.

For those thinking why cant I just enjoy the car for myself? I have to have a bigger purpose in things I do. For example I was into cycling a while back.. I couldn't just ride for the heck of it I had to go race that thang! lol wasn't like I needed to ride a bike to lose weight at 140 Lbs. So yea, gota have a purpose.

I feel like the folks on the forum can help me out - Thanks in Adv.

/Cliff Notes/
Bought Si at 27 years old. Wants to mod, but keep some maturity level. What are some mods to do or stay away from?

Last edited:
I don't think bronze wheels are over the top at all. Your list of to-do items looks good to me. Nothing that draws a red flag

Im kinda of confused now, so you're final decision is to build a show car?
:domokundance:

Well if you were goin for a "mature" car; it kinda clashes with the idea of showcar/AutoX by nature. Bur it doesnt have to.

I sound like a broken record; but just get good suspension setup + wheels/tires. There you have it. Your car will be fun to drive. I mean you can autoX close to anything really with all the classes.

I think you already disqualified yourself form that mature build by getting an exhaust especially an N1. Plus those bolt-ons give you little to no performance gains(I would do the research), and sometimes rob you of power.

Last edited:
I don't think bronze wheels are over the top at all. Your list of to-do items looks good to me. Nothing that draws a red flag

:yeahthat:

Everything sounds good to me too. I think there isn't much that is sexier than a set of Volk wheels in bronze - almost any of their styles are very tasteful and look great.

Last edited:
On a side note: I bought my car purposely so don't modify it. (automatic LX). I should have known better....3 months later: wheels/tires, suspension, blah blah... I went on a canyon run few days ago and it was a blast, even without the shocks. 3 gears is all you need :D.

Not buying an intake or exhaust for sure. In my opinion waste of money(on an R18 at least). Unless you're gonna go with full race exhaust /straight pipe.

I just approached it from this angle: whats gonna allow me to have the most fun and give me driving performance and little rice effect. Even though I went the shitty route of looks initially, buying lowering springs/wheels tires.

I think everyone gotta an exhaust here so I sound like a hater....oh well :spazface:

So I guess the moral is, make a concrete decision early. (2cents).

Last edited:
Mature...... This is not a jab, I'm 68.
I don't see where what you do to your car is going to be a negative to CEO's / VIP's / Etc.(It's no different to them driving a Por' Boxter).
As for your wife, if she doesn't like going to AX(ask if you can go by yourself, and add that you'd like her to go to the SHOW events.....Explaining that you know she doesn't like the AX events). Also try going to her stuff, that she wants you to go to(and try to show you're having a good time).
PS... get the wheels

:yeahthat: that was the other thing i was gonna say. why does she need to go with you ? are you in that type of relationship?

She can go shop with her GFs meanwhile.

Oh yah and BTW, a civic is seen by most people (lamen) as a teenager car. If you were to look at it relatively.
So if you're gonna mod the car most people will judge you as being younger(especially a civic), with no family obligations, etc.

Im 31 btw.

So just decide what exactly you want out of your car, and go with it.

Last edited:
Im kinda of confused now, so you're final decision is to build a show car?
:domokundance:

O no nothing like that thing in your video.. Just minimal and clean, and likely to never to win due to lack of rice, but still something worthy of at least showing.

Mature...... This is not a jab, I'm 68.
I don't see where what you do to your car is going to be a negative to CEO's / VIP's / Etc.(It's no different to them driving a Por' Boxter).
As for your wife, if she doesn't like going to AX(ask if you can go by yourself, and add that you'd like her to go to the SHOW events.....Explaining that you know she doesn't like the AX events). Also try going to her stuff, that she wants you to go to(and try to show you're having a good time).
PS... get the wheels

Good points - Thanks

O no nothing like that thing in your video.. Just minimal and clean, and likely to never to win due to lack of rice, but still something worthy of at least showing.

Well that video was just a joke.....

If you want the modest look just leave it stock. you already spent the money on the si and factory wheels. (and save your money for a diff car)

Semi-modest /sporty look; springs and wheels (will give you the most drastic look improvement).

Weekend canyon fun; all suspension, good tires. Wider wheels is secondary, but will improve looks also( might as well since your buying tires).

AutoX; whole different animal: again suspension, tires, wheels; much more fine tuning. (but you should know this)

Showcar....whole different animal again... why even go/enter???? what are you gonna show? modest build, almost stock si with intake exhaust?

Well that video was just a joke.....

If you want the modest look just leave it stock. you already spent the money on the si and factory wheels. (and save your money for a diff car)

Semi-modest /sporty look; springs and wheels (will give you the most drastic look improvement).

Weekend canyon fun; all suspension, good tires. Wider wheels is secondary, but will improve looks also( might as well since your buying tires).

AutoX; whole different animal: again suspension, tires, wheels; much more fine tuning. (but you should know this)

Showcar....whole different animal again... why even go/enter???? what are you gonna show? modest build, almost stock si with intake exhaust?

Your weekend canyon example kinda describe what I am after, but we do not have canyons here so it would be Weekend Country Road Fun. Having it a bit more sporty than stock is what I am looking for. Wish we had canyons here.. I would never even consider doing an AutoX. I am not into the competition are seeing how good of a time I get or beating someone so the canyons would appease me. Even when I time attacked I never cared about my time just enjoyed blasting around the track.

As for putting my car in a show its just an idea. The scene here is not Epic if you will so a clean/minimalist JDM styled car can do pretty well. Now if I go over to a bigger city like Atlanta or Memphis etc.. That would be a different story.

I'm over 30 and the thing I like is that I can now afford to do things the right way, the way I want to.

Instead of running an HID kit, I went with projector retrofit headlights.

Instead of just getting springs, I got the whole Koni Yellow, drop springs, camber arms,... and so on.

Doing the mods you want and not cutting corners or buying the cheaper option, I feel, will help set your car apart as a more "mature" ride. Just like Ken said - Volks always looks good.

I don't think my car comes off as ricey and I think the lack of stickers/slammed/camber/widewheel/stretchtire/HID/cheapofartcan lets people know that someone with some sense or just a few extra years is driving.

I'd say shoot for the category of "OEM+" mods. The ones that are subtle but there and add just a little to the car without being overdone. Nice wheels, upgraded suspension, a few engine mods, and so on.

I'm in a similar boat - I'm 31 and though I want to mod, I need my car to remain "mature" (despite the OEM Si trunk spoiler, lol). Because the car is my daily driver, a lowered suspension is out of the question - the ride will be too stiff and slowing down to go sideways over speed bumps isn't necessary haha. Intake/exhaust combo is out too - the gains are minimal and I can't pull into a law firm's garage and set off all the Porsches' and BMWs' alarms (I'm in my 3rd year of law school).

With that said, the Civic Si is a great car AS IS. just enjoy the drive, save your money, and upgrade to a car that already handles better and is faster straight from the factory. Nothing beats the fit/finish/quality and the years + $ spent on research and development.

HFP suspension man! It's awesome. It's the definition of OEM+ at a slight 1" drop & is totally DD-able and its not overly stiff. That with an upgraded rear sway, camber arms, camber bolts, great tires and a performance alignment and you're ready to rip.

Buy Flashpro and get what you can out of the car. I bet it would be nice to blow the doors off those stuffy BMW 328 drivers. Ya know the ones who want the BMW status but without spending the $$ to get the decent 335 version.

I'm over 30 and the thing I like is that I can now afford to do things the right way, the way I want to.

Instead of running an HID kit, I went with projector retrofit headlights.

Instead of just getting springs, I got the whole Koni Yellow, drop springs, camber arms,... and so on.

Doing the mods you want and not cutting corners or buying the cheaper option, I feel, will help set your car apart as a more "mature" ride. Just like Ken said - Volks always looks good.

I don't think my car comes off as ricey and I think the lack of stickers/slammed/camber/widewheel/stretchtire/HID/cheapofartcan lets people know that someone with some sense or just a few extra years is driving.

I'd say shoot for the category of "OEM+" mods. The ones that are subtle but there and add just a little to the car without being overdone. Nice wheels, upgraded suspension, a few engine mods, and so on.

Thanks Nix - This makes sense towards the goal I am going for. I am not scared of modding, but I want the modding to be tasteful, and not go over into that boy racer look..

I'm in a similar boat - I'm 31 and though I want to mod, I need my car to remain "mature" (despite the OEM Si trunk spoiler, lol). Because the car is my daily driver, a lowered suspension is out of the question - the ride will be too stiff and slowing down to go sideways over speed bumps isn't necessary haha. Intake/exhaust combo is out too - the gains are minimal and I can't pull into a law firm's garage and set off all the Porsches' and BMWs' alarms (I'm in my 3rd year of law school).

With that said, the Civic Si is a great car AS IS. just enjoy the drive, save your money, and upgrade to a car that already handles better and is faster straight from the factory. Nothing beats the fit/finish/quality and the years + $ spent on research and development.

Ah yes Law School. I remember your "Welcome Thread". I may be just a tick more of a rebel towards modding than yourself. I bought the Si to mod. I had a paid off car that went from A to B, but it was not something one would mod. I can understand your situation though.

Back