Maybe Crazy

Danny Flores de V

Ok so I have a question I am brand new to this forum and I knw this may sound dumb but I just want to knw has anyone ever bought an automatic and switched it out for a manual version? For example I have a 2012 civic coupe auto I've had for about 2 months only made one payment and was wondering if it is possible to trade it in for the same car just a manual transmission I knw it lost value as soon as I left the dealership but just wondering if it has ever been done and what was it like? Crazy question I knw any response would be great thanks!

Welcome....... While you're waiting for someone that might actually know an answer to your question(and we do have ppl on here that know the finanual end of this stuff).
So, do you know how to use a manual, and why are you wanting to change? I have been driving manual since '62 and just got my 1st automatic, so I can see the differences, but have found that it does pretty good if I uses the selecter 2nd and D3, it perks right up.

Is it a lease by any chance? If it's a purchased vehicle, that's something that a dealership would have to help with. One thing that is going to matter is the # of miles on the odometer. You'd be looking at a loss on the deal, but I can't say how much. The biggest problem for you right now is that they're heavily discounting the 2012's. Honda corporate has basically instructed all of the dealerships to sell the 2012's as fast as possible because the 2013's are coming in. There are a lot of changes to the 2013, so they said the 2012's could be a "tough sell" if people compare the two side by side. On the plus side, you could pick up a new car probably heavily discounted. What they'd give you on trade is the million dollar question. You'd be better off to try and sell it yourself.

I sell Honda's and I can tell you that now would be the worst time for you to trade it in. Especially if you put zero down and financed all of your taxes and fees. Lets pretend you bought an LX with taxes and everything for $22000, and MSRP is $19500, you can get the same car right now for about $17000 plus taxes and fees. So if a dealership was going to be selling the same car as used it would have to be lower priced than that. Lets say $15999. I know that no matter how low the miles are or new the car is we would have to do a full safety inspection ($250). No matter how clean it is they have to detail it due to different allergies and such ($150). And they would probably Honda Certify it ($850). So we're at $14749. But they also have to mark it up to attempt to make some profit and leave room for negotiations. So you're trade in could be as low as $13000 or so. Maybe more depending on how many 2012s they have left because once they are gone the price of a used one could be higher, probably in the area of $17999. So I would say deal with the automatic unless you are OK loosing $5-10,000 once you pay for taxes and fees again on the new car. If I was your salesperson I would suggest keeping it. I am a Honda salesperson and to me I could care less about selling you another car if its just the wrong thing to do. But I have integrity and just tell my customers the truth and what I really think, not whatever makes me the most money. You can PM me if you have anymore questions about it.

Wow I wasn't expecting such great answers lol thank you so much
but yea I figured tht it wasn't the best idea at all but anyway the reason I want a manual is cuz I enjoy stick shift a whole lot more i think it just a lot more fun the reason I got the auto in the first place is cuz my wife can't drive stick

Wow I wasn't expecting such great answers lol thank you so much
but yea I figured tht it wasn't the best idea at all but anyway the reason I want a manual is cuz I enjoy stick shift a whole lot more i think it just a lot more fun the reason I got the auto in the first place is cuz my wife can't drive stick
I made the same mistake when I got my 2010 EX. Luckily, I leased it for 2-1/2 years, so I was in the market again and grabbed a 2012 Si. I agree the manual is much more enjoyable to drive. Still working on my wife to learn to drive it though...

Back