my kids make fun of 2013 civic ex horn - upgrade suggestions please?

DannyV

I have a 2013 civic ex and I would like to change out the horn. Can I do this myself?? I'd like a loud horn and I really do not want to do any electrical work - help me please? Dan in Florida.

change it out with the accords, its a high change they use the same plug. Just make sure you have clearance and grounding contact.

ok - may I ask what is a high change? clearance? and a grounding contact?? i am not an auto guy - much thanks for any further explanation you can offer. dan

The way I understand it our Ex's only use one horn, while others use two, and the horn that fits in the front centre has to be thin(Hella are not thin). I'm not sure if the Ex wiring is the same as the wiring for two horns. I gave up the quest for better sound due to this issue. It would be nice in case I ever needed to use my horn.

The horns from the accord fit into the same connectors. No electrical work to be done. The non si has only 1 horn (typically a high note) vs the si 2 (high and low). You can buy the accord horn upgrade kit from CHH Honda, you will only use 1 horn of the 2 horn kit.

There should be DIY threads around but essentially it's plug n play. Remove old horn, connect new horn. The hardest part is you need to remove the upper front grill attachments so you can get your hands in.

Thanks Twitch - but everything I have seen indicates I have to remove the bumper - not just the grill.

Thanks Twitch - but everything I have seen indicates I have to remove the bumper - not just the grill.

You don't have to remove the bumper. It is easier if you remove the bumper but it is not absolutely necessary. I have done it both ways, on a coupe but the sedan should be very similar. As you only have one horn up high, you can just remove the upper grill and get in there. The horn is just to the left of the center emblem. You just need a socket with an adjustable head. It is a bit of a struggle, but a hell of a lot easier and faster than pulling the entire bumper.

Now if you want to add a second horn, then you need to remove the bumper.

My girlfriend makes fun of mine too, the civics have such terrible horn

You don't have to remove the bumper. It is easier if you remove the bumper but it is not absolutely necessary. I have done it both ways, on a coupe but the sedan should be very similar. As you only have one horn up high, you can just remove the upper grill and get in there. The horn is just to the left of the center emblem. You just need a socket with an adjustable head. It is a bit of a struggle, but a hell of a lot easier and faster than pulling the entire bumper.

Now if you want to add a second horn, then you need to remove the bumper.

I didn't know there were two horns, when are each used?

I didn't know there were two horns, when are each used?
The Civic has a sensor to determine how mad you are. If you are REALLY mad then both horns blow. If you are being more polite then only the quieter horn blows.
I think the sensor is on the steering wheel. It might be some kind of pressure sensor.

Hehe. It depends on which model. No sensor. But that would be awesome. The si has 2. Everything else has one.

The Civic has a sensor to determine how mad you are. If you are REALLY mad then both horns blow. If you are being more polite then only the quieter horn blows.
I think the sensor is on the steering wheel. It might be some kind of pressure sensor.
Lol, I have a finger that fits through the sunroof lol

Sorry dude. I just saw flashes of the questions that might come from that and I couldn't do it. There's already a dozen threads on the horns/horn upgrades and people still don't seem to understand how it works.
Ya but my response hadn't been up for three minutes. You could have let it go for a little while longer.
I can just imagine someone playing with the steering wheel trying to see if they could get the different horn sounds to work :rotfl:

If your kids make fun of the sound of your Civic horn, you should be able to trade them for a good diesel horn and an adult who doesn't care what your horn sounds like.

Not as bad as my lifted Pathfinder with the same wussy "roadrunner" horn. At least the civic has an excuse for the whimpy horn lol.

i bought an 08' Accord horn from the dealer (15$) and the tech installed it on the spot for free. Took 5 minutes. You just open the hood, take the old horn out, plug the new one in and bend the bracket down a bit and it will fit (Accord horn is a bit bigger/thicker)

Back