my seat back pops

12civic5speed

Johnson City Tennessee
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
when i lean back in my seat there seems to be like this little bubble thing that pops and pushes back on me its kinda like a lumbar support thing but it pisses me off when i am driveing it and this bubble moves in the seat back the location is in the lower back of the seat anyone else have this problem?

Yup. Had this issue on my first 2012 Si. They looked at it when they FINALLY were able to replicate it and said it had to do with the frame of the seat. They tried insulated some part to no avail, telling me they'd have to replace the entire frame if that didn't work. It didn't work, and they refused to replace the frame unless they could replicate it again.

A 19 year old totaled that car a few weeks later. My replacement 2012 Si didn't do it for about 5,000 miles, but it's starting to do it, and it is unbelievably cheap feeling and annoying. The seat also creaks and groans like styrofoam and a rocking chair sometimes.

If it gets really bad I'll bring it in, but I don't feel like dealing with the frustration of this very common problem with the coupe/Si seats (I've seen MANY people on forums complain about this very issue).

So, at the very least, rest easier knowing that you're not alone affected by Honda's beancounters.

It didn't work, and they refused to replace the frame unless they could replicate it again.
by Honda's beancounters.
So it would be in their best interest "not" to replicate it.

Not that I have seen it, but I'm guessing that a few zip ty's holding it in place might be worth looking into.(ie; closing the distance between the front and back of the seat rest.).

i am taking it in thursday to have the blower motor looked at and the seat

The blower motor is obnoxiously loud on the 2012 Civic, especially in cold weather. My dealership refuses to fix it because they say there's nothing 'technically' wrong with it. I have very sensitive hearing, and it is like a loud, whirring, electronic noise from the passenger's footwell, and it gets worse the colder it gets. I never had this issue in my 2006 Si, I had it lightly in my 2010 EX-L, and both 2012 Si's have been unbearable. It tells me they just used a crappy part or cost-cut the insulation that hid the noise. I'll be fighting on this one, because it really sounds awful.

Not that I have seen it, but I'm guessing that a few zip ty's holding it in place might be worth looking into.(ie; closing the distance between the front and back of the seat rest.).

I saw the seat taken out of the vehicle on my first 2012 Si before it was totaled. He opened the seat cover and was showing me. He said it had something to do with this plastic rectangular strip that sits where your lower back meets your butt (where that part of your body sits on the car). Says that it's there to regulate the support based on your weight, and when extra weight is pressed against it, it can 'pop'.

I wasn't convinced this was the solution, because my popping occurs in areas of the seat around the upper 3/4 of my back - not in the area the tech was replicating.

For those who can't imagine what this sounds like - remember those little rubber domes you used to turn inside out as a kid, set on a hard surface, and watch it "pop" high into the air. It sounds exactly like that.

i have no idea but mine is poping worse now

It'll get worse over time, I'm suspecting, as wear goes on. It's been my experience in my EXTENSIVE time spent with warranty work at Honda dealerships that owners notice things when they first start happening that area hard to replicate. As miles go on and the car gets "worn" more, they occur more easily, and the tech's can replicate it then. By now, you'd think they'd just listen to me and replace what I ask - I've been right every other time eventually!

I encourage anyone who has these issues to report back to us with the solution or what your dealership was doing, as I'm not above having my dealership call yours if the fix works :).

these cars are crap, im trading mine in soon. seat pops, window trim peeling, never thought id say this but.....f my 2013 civic.

e31.jpg

Some of you should visit other car brand forums and see what problems they have with their interior.(especially Speed3, GTI, BRZ/FRS, ST forums) My previous car was VW GTI and under 20k miles I had so many rattles in my car that I gave up on fixing them. My friend that bought a brand new BMW 335 has rattles in his car too and he paid a little over $40k for it.:screwy: What would you say about EVOs and STIs that have horrible interiors and awful paint? Some of you are overreacting

ChHNZ.gif

when i lean back in my seat there seems to be like this little bubble thing that pops and pushes back on me its kinda like a lumbar support thing but it pisses me off when i am driveing it and this bubble moves in the seat back the location is in the lower back of the seat anyone else have this problem?
I had this problem at first. I think it's a break-in issue. I'm around 35,000 on my 13 now and this issue is gone for me.

Back