Need some help... No sound.

black9th

Norfolk, Virginia
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased one of those cheap ebay head units that are specific for my 2012 Civic. It is designed to plug right in to the factory wires without a harness. I hooked it all up and everything worked, except I could not get the sound to work for the life of me. I triple checked to make sure everything was hooked up but still nothing. I have the premium audio system if that helps...

Any chance you can get a pic of the harness, or the unit? Was it made for the premium audio civics, or potentially the units that do not have premium audio?

I just got off the phone with the seller from China, I have to say this is some of the best customer service I have ever received, and he says that since I have the premium audio system I need to connect the original subwoofer wire. He recommends going to a shop, but I thought I would check here to see if anyone knows what exactly I have to do.

So pin 16 on the harness diagram...it says sub. Does it have a wire in that spot coming out of the harness? Blank? They want you to tap the oem sub in there?

That entire VTR plug outputs RCA cables, the ones in picture #4. I think thats what they want me to tap into

Also, another question, I have sub woofer that I just bought. So if I just unhook the stock one and wire up the new one should everything just work? I do not understand how just plugging in the stock sub will make all the other speakers work.

I'm referring to the last pic posted "vtr" #16. Which looks like the pinout/harness in your 3rd pic. You'd look to see if pin 16 has a wire coming out, or if it's blank. 2nd row, 4th from the left.

u4uguby6.jpg

Well here's the problem. No connector for this.

this is all to my knowledge i have no schooling on this apart from it being a hobby of mine if i am wrong feel free to correct me if im wrong.

post number 13 i can ALMOST gaurentee is you stock amp with the premo audio set up which will need to get bypassed. the way a premo set up works is the reciever/head unit/deck (whatever you wanna call it, ill refer to it as the head unit) talks to the amp and the amp talks to the speakers and the speakers talk to you.

right now the head unit you have isnt made to talk to the amp its made to just talk to the speakers because thats how a non premo set up works because the head unit basically has an amp in it (as shown by the fact that on the left connector it shows speaker pos[+] and neg[-]).

what i dont understand is your head unit has a sub out which dosent exist on non premo set ups. also this out should run to an amp of some sort and ALSO a sub is basically a big speaker so why is there only one pin for it? so that defeats the just tapping in to it as mentioned earlier.

all my ranting being out there i dont really know what you are looking for in your system but without a lot of work i really dont know how that head unit is gonna work for you with the premo factory set up :/ now i could be wrong i dont do this for a living.

Thank you. I'm gonna work on it tomorrow and see if I get anywhere. I'll let you guys know what happens

I hate to say it, but with some of these chinese kits, i might suggest that you check the continuity of each wire before continuing. More than a handful of times i've gotten stuff that makes such a poor connection in the wiring/harness that it causes issues or maybe in your case, non-functioning :P

Maybe need to trigger the amp turn on wire. I'd honestly like to see it before going into more detail. I don't want something bad to happen like blowing the speakers/head unit/ fuses.

Alright, so today I tried using the subwoofer connector from the metra harness and also tried triggering the amp with the AMP CONT wire. Neither worked. Although, the triggering of the amp wire made the Power off display on the I mid. I guess the next step would be taking the other part of the metra harness and manually wiring all the rest. I'll probably take it to an audio shop for that.

Alright, so today I tried using the subwoofer connector from the metra harness and also tried triggering the amp with the AMP CONT wire. Neither worked. Although, the triggering of the amp wire made the Power off display on the I mid. I guess the next step would be taking the other part of the metra harness and manually wiring all the rest. I'll probably take it to an audio shop for that.

Good choice. Safe than sorry man.

Back