New 2013 Civic SI 300 Miles and feels like new clutch does not fully disengage.

WarAdmiral

Hey Guys!

I am new the this forum. I have just bought a 2013 Civic SI. I have been driving stick over ten years, and I have never had this occur to me before. Every time I want to shift i fully take off my foot of the gas, when I compress the clutch it does not seem to fully disengage. Like a revs a little and I feel the vibration on my foot. It does not feel right, but i called a buddy of mine who is a mechanic and I am not the first one to tell him about the engines eagerness for lack of better term. Is this something anyone is aware of? Or is it just me? I have owned a Mustang 5.0 and a GTI and went to Honda for reliability and fun. And this clutch does not feel right at all!

Last edited:
welcome WarAdmiral!! im not too sure why your clutch would feel that way. maybe some Si guys can chip in. Honda's reliability is sppot on and i heard clutch is really smooth so dunno

Have you tried sitting still with it in 1st gear and try letting the clutch off the floor slowly to see how far you can lift it if any before you feel it trying to ingage>

I'd guess it should move from the floor a couple of inches before the car rpm's change............. don't use any gas.

It sounds more like the engine idle may be running high.

I always feel that for the first 3-5 miles the clutch has a weird "grab" to it. Seems like it just needs to get warmed up.

maybe your just not used to the rev hang that the civics feature. throws a experienced stick driver off at first :hatsoff:
Intrepid,That's what I was thinking at first also. The rev hang surprised me because it had been 8 years between manual transmissions and the last was a Rav4.

Intrepid,That's what I was thinking at first also. The rev hang surprised me because it had been 8 years between manual transmissions and the last was a Rav4.

I was thinking the same. I didn't find the clutch tricky, but I did find that the rev hang makes it sound like a person doesn't know how drive a manual. Takes some getting used to.

If you're unsure at all, take it in to the dealer.

maybe your just not used to the rev hang that the civics feature. throws a experienced stick driver off at first :hatsoff:
Same here. The Civic is a different beast all on its own. Just takes getting used to.

BTW: :useless:

I'm guessing you're experiencing the dreaded "rev hang" that you'll read about all over the forum. That's when you put the clutch in and the revs "hang", or "float"....despite being off the gas pedal and the clutch engaged. If this is what you're referring to, it's normal. It's built into the car to "help emissions". The only way to eliminate the rev hang is by going with hondata flashpro and a tune. Example vids of rev hang below

View: http://youtu.be/5-3vwk4mnF4

View: http://youtu.be/woVzeRl8f7E

is this what you're referring to, or something else?

I'm guessing you're experiencing the dreaded "rev hang" that you'll read about all over the forum. That's when you put the clutch in and the revs "hang", or "float"....despite being off the gas pedal and the clutch engaged. If this is what you're referring to, it's normal. It's built into the car to "help emissions". The only way to eliminate the rev hang is by going with hondata flashpro and a tune. Example vids of rev hang below

View: http://youtu.be/5-3vwk4mnF4

View: http://youtu.be/woVzeRl8f7E

is this what you're referring to, or something else?

Could be rev hang but he said something about feeling it grabbing in the clutch pedal. I would take it to the dealer. Even with rev hang the clutch pedal should feel normal.

Hey Guys thanks for all your responses! I took it to a couple of friends and the dealer and yes it is the dreaded rev hang....to be honest if i Would have known i would have thought twice about buying it with that feature. And now curiously I saw that the trunk might be leaking :flame: I got my tints done and found a pool of water...I bought Honda for reliability and with 600 miles only on it I already have headaches! has anyone else had a trunk leaking issue with the car? :hyper:

Hey Guys thanks for all your responses! I took it to a couple of friends and the dealer and yes it is the dreaded rev hang....to be honest if i Would have known i would have thought twice about buying it with that feature. And now curiously I saw that the trunk might be leaking :flame: I got my tints done and found a pool of water...I bought Honda for reliability and with 600 miles only on it I already have headaches! has anyone else had a trunk leaking issue with the car? :hyper:

Same thing happened after I had my windows tinted. Fortunately, I had the trunk tray.

I've not seen a single thread that I recall pertaining to a wet trunk. Obviously, that's something you need to have Honda look at that to see where the issue is.

If you have plans to put aftermarket parts on your car, you should look into hondata flashpro. You can eliminate the rev hang with a tune. VitViper may be able to assist you & offer a package deal on the unit & tune.

I didn't think to take it in because the water would have come from the inside, which would not surprise me as there is no tight seal from the rear deck lid into the trunk. What does bother me is the amount of water the tinters were using that would allow a sizable pool of water in the trunk.

Sorry, your post went in before mine. I didn't think about the tint shop causing the pool of water. That's crazy

Ya I think that what had to be it. I too got the trunk tray thank god. But I live in Florida so I will see if pretty soon was the guys doing the tint or rain water from the outside. I hope it was the tints because I do not want to be another second in a dealer.

Sorry, your post went in before mine. I didn't think about the tint shop causing the pool of water. That's crazy

It is a wet process for installation. The reason you have to wait a week or more before rolling the windows down is because the moisture has to evaporate and the the adhesive cures. I just didn't realize it would require that much water. Kind of scary to think about as far as electronics and motors inside the doors.

Maybe some tinting shops put towels down or use less water? I've never had pools after tint installs, but I can see how it could happen if they used tons of water to lubricate....or were just careless.

Last edited:
Maybe some tinting shops put towels down or use less water? I've never had pools after tint installs, but I can see how it could happen if they used tons of water to lubricate....or were just careless.

My vote is on carelessness.

Back