New Civic Owner: '13 Coupe EX-L w/Navi Kona Coffee Metallic

It is necessary to remove the rear seat side panels and the molding that covers the airbags before removal of the rear deck is possible due to the way everything interlocks.

From what I have read so far, there are no direct fit tweeters either. So that means a bit of custom work...probably just drilling new holes. It would be best to buy a component set for the front as 9thgizzyguy mentions in the thread Phaheem referenced above. If installing an amp to connect them to, it would be necessary to run wire from the amp to the front speakers as well as installing the new crossover and running the wires that the speakers will connect to.

This really isn't a job for the faint of heart.

Yes, there would be quite a few panels to remove in the back, but I am sure any experienced stereo shop would be familiar with doing that kind of work. I usually like to do my own stereo upgrades, but with the way the premium system is wired, I might want to leave it up to the pros so I can get a good sounding system. I don't want something booming, but I do want clean solid bass and clear highs with a good set of components up front and good speakers in the back, all run through an external amp while keeping the Navi head unit. It is not uncommon for the Honda pillars not to directly accept an aftermarket tweeter. Usually there is some type of custom work needed to be done to get it to fit and look good. That is what a good stereo shop would specialize in.

Speaking of Navi - the graphics and resolution are sub-par for a new 2013 model year car. Seems so incredibly dated.

Actually, the Navi in the Honda is incredibly elegant for what it is supposed to do. The current Navi system has a higher resolution and better icons than their older (pre-2006) models. The Navi in my '03 Accord had a low resolution. The Navi looks very close to the popular Thomas Guide map books. If you have ever used a Thomas Guide, you would know how easy they are to read streets and plot your destination. That is the goal. You can look at the Honda Navi and easily determine where you are, what street you are on, and where you need to go next. You don't need to spend a lot of time looking at the graphics to figure out where you are. That is the problem with other systems. Their fancy graphics are too fancy, and it is not easy to read the map. I have seen Navi systems from Toyota, VW, Mercedes, BMW and Chevy. They were all awful in their own special way. The maps were too fancy with 3D graphics so they were hard to read at first glance. The Mercedes was the worst, bad colors and lousy graphics. The map was a joke to read. The most annoying part...if you turn off the stereo, you turn off the Navi. That is the same problem in the Chevy. If the stereo is off, no Navi. The 3D tilted fancy maps do nothing except cut off 1/3rd of the top of the screen to create a fake horizon and sky. What good does that do? The Chevy Navi also did not show the street names for most of the streets until you were driving past it. The Chevy Navi would not display the street address on the final street of your guided destination. So if you were driving for a few hours and did not remember the street number, the Chevy Navi is not going to display it for you. The Honda Navi shows the street address once you are on the final street. However, the new 2013 system doesn't show it until you are practically on the destination. The earlier system showed it once you were on the final street so you can look for it. I do like the upper right corner showing the next move to be made when using the guided destination. However, I miss the one-touch Directions button that showed you the list of upcoming directions so you can get an idea where to go ahead of time. Now I have to press the Map/Guide button twice to get that information, but at least it is still there. So I like the map graphics the way they are. They get the job done with the least distractions.

I'll post a pic of the Nav screen in my wife's car, and a pic of my Honda Navi for comparison soon. You'll see what i mean when I say that the graphics and resolution are sub-par.

I do like how the iMID also shows your next maneuver

yeah its a rough project if your doing it yourself guys and some stereo shops might refuse to do it just because 80 percent of the interior panels are attatched to air bags and dont wanna be responsible of paying a grand to have new ones put back in if one goes off by accident so if you do it your self be very careful and take your time for sure .

I installed white LEDs in the map lights and dome. I installed the 194s with 2-LEDs on each bulb, from Diode Dynamics. I took the picture with my Nikon D5100 without a flash and no lights on in the garage. The photo looks black and white, until you look at the dash and seat belt buckle. I think the photo came out really cool looking.

DSC_1924.JPG

Looks great! I'm on the fence about upgrading my bulbs to LEDs, only because I like the soft light from the regular bulbs. This looks damn good though!

Do the LEDs fade in/out like the regular bulbs do?

By the way, you had mentioned that the Honda Navi doesn't give you an overview of the streets/turns/freeways on your route. I discovered that it does.
Once you've input your destination, push the Map/Guide button a few times and it'll get to a screen that shows you all the info you were looking for.

You can also go deep within the depths of the settings page and make it so the navi screen displays the map on half the screen and the turn by turn directions on the other half!

I finished reading the Navi manual and discovered the destination list by pressing Map/Guide twice, but thanks for the info. I never liked the split screen view. The LEDs in the photo above are brighter than they actually appear since the camera shutter remained open a few seconds to capture the image. The 2-LED bulbs are the perfect brightness, just slightly brighter than incandescent bulbs. I like the white glow of LEDs rather than the yellow-ish tint from a standard bulb. I also have the white 2-LED bulb in the license plate. Yes, the LEDs do fade out like regular bulbs. It is a nice, inexpensive upgrade. It was $27.45 for four 194 2-LED bulbs (map, dome and license plate) and one 6-LED board for the trunk.

Back