New highway ride ...

Miller15

Travel car project starts tomorrow. 2015 EX sedan. I'm looking to improve the car to maximize hwy mileage. I've Ben trolling for a few days to get familiar with the site.

Stay tuned ...
92eb6e2ab39f63d0ec89d4d887dba579.jpg

Welcome. What plans do you have for mileage

A light foot to start with!

After that, maybe open up the intake & exhaust a bit, lower slightly, & see if I can find a few aero enhancements.

Open to suggestions also ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isnt more air (cooler) bad for mpgs?

Internal combustion engines are just complicated air pumps. The easier it is to move the air in & out, the better. Less work trying to suck air in & push it out means more efficient power available to move the car.

Very few cars won't benefit from intake / exhaust improvements. The mpg's tend to go down when you put extra "foot" into it to hear your new intake / exhaust.

I'll document my progress along this journey. I've got a 700 mile round trip each week for work, so lots of hwy driving to measure.

I will retire this from the daily commute ...
58b25ce943e6311f34fafbdab3f962aa.jpg

Last edited:
just an FYI aftermarket intakes dont really do anything useful on these cars, especially the nonSi trims. they just confuse the ECU without a tune and usually result in worse performance/mileage. your best bet is to reduce weight, especially by getting lighter rims, and to find some low rolling resistance tires

You could air up the tires for less rolling resistance.

Some of the hybrid/hypermiling forums I have seen tend to put the tires at 40psi or so to try and improve MPGs.

And hybrid wheels or light weight wheels. The hybrid rims were quite light.

Perhaps, then, just a synthetic drop in filter for easier flow. I'm not interested in getting it tuned at this point.

I'll play with tire pressures to see if there is a measurable difference.

... not ready to invest in lightweight wheels just yet either.

Thanks for the feedback

Back