New Owner with a battery related question

DMS24

Nevada, USA
Vehicle Model
(Lexus) ES 300h
Hello Everyone!
Just got my EX Sedan on Saturday, however something I have noticed since I got it, was when I start the vehicle, cold or warm, it seems like the battery is overly weak. It also is made worse by a lower OAT at the cars current location. I'm just curious if this is normal for these little R18s. Whenever I've had a car in the past do this, it has always been because the battery needed replacement, but it seems unreasonable on a brand new car, unless it was neglected on the dealer lot. Seems I will need to make my first visit to Honda for battery testing, and hopefully a replacement battery.
(I'm new here, so I apologize in advance If this has been asked before.)

If my memory serves me right, two users have had batteries swapped out soon after purchasing their cars. If it's not working properly, take it in and have them look at it. It'll be replaced for free. Welcome to the site :wavey:

This is a pet subject of mine, so bear with me........... 1st Welcome.......... What I have found though my own experience and from working with others on and off the forums, is that in your case having been sitting on the lot for "who knows how long", all it may need is for you to hook-up your trickle charger till you get a solid green light.

For everyone else reading this....... you can buy a brand new battery from the store and take it home and it could be low. Called shelf time since last charged, and also could be that when ppl(working at shops that sell batteries) pop it on the charger before selling it to you, they take the charge up only to the 80º level if you're lucky.
Anyway never trust that a battery you just received ownership of has been fully charged ........... You ppl should always charge your own battery when you get a new one before putting it into service.

My new '12 Coupe, when I bought it, I asked and was told that they charged the battery before I took it ........ Being the battery charge freak that I am, when I put my car in the garage for the night, I plugged 'er in........ and it took about 4 hours just to reach the 80% mark , and a few more to reach the 100% mark..........

The same battery in my car (the one that came with it) now anytime I put the charger on it , it only takes less than 2 hours to get it back to a full 100º .

Another note, running your car for 20 min at a high rpm, or all day for that matter, will not bring a battery back up to a full charge............

never heard that last bit. You know what % it takes it to after driving around for a period of time? I've never tested

never heard that last bit. You know what % it takes it to after driving around for a period of time? I've never tested

About 70/80%......... The cars charging system is not meant to do anything more than maintain the charge in it............ The battery will last longer if trickled now and again as well.

Thanks for the advice, and the warm welcome :). Will give some updates after visiting Honda on Tuesday, other than that I checked my door jam and it said "date of manufacture 9/12," cross checking with the PDI log the dealer gave me, it seems the dealer only checked the battery a full two months before my purchase. Seeing as my 260 mile trip today was not enough to fully charge the battery to get around the current issue, I'm guessing it's scrap. Got to love new car warranties, usually there to cover the stuff that isn't done while the car sits on the lot in the hot sun. Ah well, here's to many, many miles and years with my new Civic!

I have an 08' and I notice this problem as well. Even after replacing the battery. It seems like my short commute most days leaves my battery a little weak. If I hit the highway for 15-20 min the next start is not as hard. Cold mornings when it hasn't been driven the day before are most noticeable.

If I wasn't currently at a college campus, I'd definitely get a charger, since I don't have access to a socket in the parking lots, I can't do that. Will just visit Honda tomorrow, and see what they say (hopfully that the battery needs replacement). If not, they might let me start one of the others on the lot in comparison.

If I wasn't currently at a college campus, I'd definitely get a charger, since I don't have access to a socket in the parking lots, I can't do that. Will just visit Honda tomorrow, and see what they say (hopefully that the battery needs replacement). If not, they might let me start one of the others on the lot in comparison.
I lived in public parking situations up until I retired, so I can sympathise with you, The only option there is if you have a window close to your car and a extension cord, and can charge it while watching so the charger isn't stolen.

I lived in public parking situations up until I retired, so I can sympathise with you, The only option there is if you have a window close to your car and a extension cord, and can charge it while watching so the charger isn't stolen.
Parking lots sits across the street :/ Good idea though, however I park far, far away from everyone else. I don't want any door dings. :)

UPDATE: Went over to Honda, and a tech came over to the car with a battery tester. As I expected, the battery had a bad cell. 30 mins later the car had a new battery. She now starts up without all of the lights dimming. Now back to enjoying the car. :)

Glad they fixed you up....... wish you had a way to top off your new one. (I said I was a battery freak)...........

my car didnt start this morning. had to call triple a to jump start it. took it to honda and it turns out the battery was dead. they replaced it though.

i didnt know why or how mine died though. only 3500 miles

This what happens prior to you receiving your car, then after you get your car you drive it using the headlights, radio, etc., during which the battery has "never been brought up to a full charge. When a cell becomes sulfated it will short out a cell/s and the batt. dies.

"A battery has self discharge or internal electrochemical "leakage" that
will cause it to become fully discharged and sulfated over time. Prior to
storing a battery, it should be fully charged, placed in a cool location
above freezing, and recharged when it reaches the 80% state-of-charge
level or once every six months, whichever occurs first."

Reactions: Nix
The ideal thing that service/car dealers could do is put solar chargers on the cars in the lots waitting to be sold, in the long run, I think, it would save them(dealers) money on replacing batteries.

Back