noise coming from the air vent

RogerSmith76

Vehicle Model
Civic Si & Civic LX
Body Style
Coupe Si, Sedan LX
ok I noticed that both my 2012 Si and LX have a rattling noise coming from the front right driver side vent when the blower is at max, has anyone else noticed this yet? I'm taking the Si into Honda tomorrow to see what it is.

I had this issue on my EX. Turned out one of those propeller things from the trees had gotten lodged inside somehow and was rattling around. I have issues with outside debris getting lodged inside and then working itself out.

^ maybe take your cabin air filter out and make sure it's sitting properly, or not clogged up with debris?

Sorry it took so long to get back on this, but took the car in and they took off the dash and didn't find anything and it didn't make any noise when they were checking it out. I took it home and sat in the parking lot and no noise, but when I was driving it and had the blower on full it started making the noise again. So it's not there if you're just sitting but is there if you're driving so I have no clue.

take a tech for a drive if it's only happening while driving around?

On mine it's the vent near the radio, on high speed i can see some of the louvers moving :

not a 2012 vent but i used this to show where mine rattles:

290720101347.jpg

I had a vehicle that would move the veins all over the place if the ac was set to it's highest setting. You could try to aim the air flow, and 1 second later it would flap around from side to side.

I noticed this on my 2012 coupe and did some more investigating. It appears to happen only after the A/C has been running for a while, probably why the dealer doesn't hear it when taken in to complain. Mine will rattle/veins wiggle at any fan speed setting when the vents have cooled off enough from A/C running. After the car sits in the sun not running for a bit, they tighten up and are quiet. I think what is going on is the plastic shrinks when the vent material is cold, the clearance between the individual veins and the side angle adjuster becomes loose letting them rattle. Maybe some sort of flexible sealer type stuff applied in the right places would stop this? Otherwise my car is totally silent so this is a bit irritating.

I find mine only does this when the louvers are aimed straight ahead. If I adjust them to one side a bit they tighten back up and stop shaking.

Sorry it took so long to get back on this, but took the car in and they took off the dash and didn't find anything and it didn't make any noise when they were checking it out. I took it home and sat in the parking lot and no noise, but when I was driving it and had the blower on full it started making the noise again. So it's not there if you're just sitting but is there if you're driving so I have no clue.
I just started having this very exact issue myself

yeah similar thing here. When its really hot out and hot in the car none of my vents stay put where I aim them. They get soft and loose until the A/C runs for a bit then they harden up and stay.

I have a rattle noise when the front defroster is on the medium speed in the morning colds. But on max speed it goes away. I'll post a video and a thread wen I record it. I just ignore it

Same problem same location. If you look into the vent you can see the innermost louvers vibrating, mainly on hot days at full blast. Took to dealer about a month ago and they could not repeat it until I picked up the car lol. Replaced under warranty had to wait a few days for the part.

Back