OEM tires worn out at 28000 miles + story and Continental rant

DMS24

Nevada, USA
Vehicle Model
(Lexus) ES 300h
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but the factory tires on my 2012 wore out at 28000 miles.
2016-05-20 10.17.48.jpg

Essentially this came as a surprise to me since I haven't yet done my 3rd oil change. I just went to do a normally scheduled tire rotation and discovered I was wasting my time as I was running on slicks.:ohnoes:

/begin rant

So after finding this I called up the dealer and came to the conclusion that even though these tires are expected to last 60,000 miles (and are warranted as such if you buy new) as factory equipment they do not have a tread mileage warranty. So I called continental directly...turns out they close early and are on the east coast so I had to call mid day here. Anyway I spoke to someone who said they would offer a "goodwill" credit which after dealing with a local continental dealer (of which I will not name for they wanted $600+ even with credit for new set) was only 25%.

Yeah, no, I was not about putting this crap back on.

Costco had a sale on BFGoodrich, so now she is wearing a set of Advantage T/A.

Now the question comes up. Is anyone else getting the shaft from Continental in mileage, both wear and customer service?

/end of rant

Side note to the new Advantage T/A, the wheel is recessed slightly to protect from curb rash. Bonus points to BFG.:fistpump:

More pics of those tires? What psi are you running, because both sides of the tire look to have some tread. The middle is completely shot, and it's worse slightly to one side. The middle section of tires showing wear like that normally means you've overinflated your tires.

Any car I've ever had new had garbage tires that wore out way before their "mileage" rating. If you complain, you can sometimes get them to offer a credit towards buying another set. Same thing happened to you.

I'm just shy of 20,000 on my 2015 Si and the stock tires are at 5 or 4/32nd when I did my 3rd oil change a little over a month ago.

Here's one of the other tires I photographed. This one was slightly more even.2016-05-20 10.14.37.jpg

I tried to keep the pressure as close to 32 as I could. However my 2 gauges could never agree so I think it could have been inflated anywhere from 33-36 psi. The previously shown tire must have been a bit high.

In the end it was cheaper for me to get a different brand even with Continental's "goodwill" credit of 25%.

30k miles is good my factory installed tires didn't even make it that far also I'm on my third set at 69xxx miles and I don't even do burn outs of hard breaking

Back