oil change question

FrankRizzo

I just bought my wife a brand new 2014 civic ex. It had 36 miles on it when I bought it. I got it for less than the dealer owned it for. They wanted to get rid of it because it's a 14 model.

My question is, should I change the oil now? It's at 60 miles now, but it has a production date of 8/14, so it's 9 months old even with only 60, miles. Maintenance minder still shows 100%. I've heard that honda includes break in oil and I've heard that they do not. My wife only drives maybe 5k miles a year, so if I wait til 5k miles it will be December before we get the first oil change. Don't know how I feel about year old oil in a new car, even if it's not a performance car.

1st, Welcome.
Actually, that's a good question, mostly because of the Honda break-in oil.
I'd say wait till at least 8/15, since the oil at this point has not been used enough to be considered harmful. Just keep a visual of what the oil looks like on the dip-stick, and check the minder then as well... Remember the minder can be re-set by any one(dealer) to show 100%. The best thing is looking at the dip-stick, and of course sending in a sample to be analyzed.

1st, Welcome.
Actually, that's a good question, mostly because of the Honda break-in oil.
I'd say wait till at least 8/15, since the oil at this point has not been used enough to be considered harmful. Just keep a visual of what the oil looks like on the dip-stick, and check the minder then as well... Remember the minder can be re-set by any one(dealer) to show 100%. The best thing is looking at the dip-stick, and of course sending in a sample to be analyzed.
Why would I send my oil in for analysis? I'm just going to switch it at 5000 to my normal penzoil platinum full synthetic. My fa5 loved that oil.

Can anyone confirm if honda does use break in oil, because I've read more people saying they don't than they do.

They don't use a break-in oil, but the engine components are slathered in moly upon assembly.

They don't use a break-in oil, but the engine components are slathered in moly upon assembly.
So am I best off just changing it at 5000, or maybe in august. If the car was assembled in august, I am not sure when it was delivered. Surprising to find a 14 still on the lot with 36 miles. Regardless, I want to at least do the initial oil change correctly. Seems like you find people saying the exact opposite thing. It's not a k20, so I'm not nearly as concerned. It's more of me being curious about what should be done. Gotta make sure i get all 140hp of Japanese muscle lol...

I'd leave it in at least for a few thousand miles instead of draining it now. Then I'd follow the maintence minder.

Why would I send my oil in for analysis? I'm just going to switch it at 5000 to my normal penzoil platinum full synthetic. My fa5 loved that oil.

Can anyone confirm if honda does use break in oil, because I've read more people saying they don't than they do.

Then "we" would know(analysis) how the oil did being in the car for a half a year, after sitting with 36 miles on it. Then the next time some one ask the same question we'd be able to give better answers....... Besides, if I hadn't have asked, someone else would have said it as a possibility.:D

Then "we" would know(analysis) how the oil did being in the car for a half a year, after sitting with 36 miles on it. Then the next time some one ask the same question we'd be able to give better answers....... Besides, if I hadn't have asked, someone else would have said it as a possibility.:D
If a car is built in august 2014, do they ship it to the dealer immediately?

If a car is built in august 2014, do they ship it to the dealer immediately?
It's from Canada so probably, unless caught in the California dock workers strike...... But a better question is does the factory put the oil in before shipping???????

It's from Canada so probably, unless caught in the California dock workers strike...... But a better question is does the factory put the oil in before shipping???????
I assume they must, since don't they put a few miles on it before shipping it out?

They put oil in at the factory. The cars are all started and run prior to leaving. It's their way of doing quality control prior to it reaching a dealership.

I searched a bit more and found a link from a local honda dealer stating they don't use break in oil, but there is moly mixed in with it and to not change it early. So I'll change in august and probably be near 5000.

Hi, I'm new to a not-every-3K-miles oil change since the 2014 Civic is the first "new" Honda I've had in 16 years. Is the oil change actually 5K miles? Also, what is the amount required to change the oil--I want to be sure my mechanic doesn't overfill it. Thanks so much.

Hi, I'm new to a not-every-3K-miles oil change since the 2014 Civic is the first "new" Honda I've had in 16 years. Is the oil change actually 5K miles? Also, what is the amount required to change the oil--I want to be sure my mechanic doesn't overfill it. Thanks so much.
There is no mileage interval. Your maintenance minder in your dash keeps track of cold starts, rpms, highway vs stop and go traffic etc. It then calculates when the oil needs changed. When you get to 15% on the minder, you're supposed to get the oil changed. The mileage will be different for everyone based on driving habits. The info & oil capacity is all in your manual.

There is no mileage interval. Your maintenance minder in your dash keeps track of cold starts, rpms, highway vs stop and go traffic etc. It then calculates when the oil needs changed. When you get to 15% on the minder, you're supposed to get the oil changed. The mileage will be different for everyone based on driving habits. The info & oil capacity is all in your manual.

Thank you for your help! This'll be difficult to get used to.

Reset it and forget it till it tells you it's time for another change. Nothing to worry about or miles to keep track of.

Back