Oil Change

Here’s something you may not know- the petroleum industry has made formula changes in the last two years such as dropping ZDDP (essential for non-roller bearing valve trains, and absolutely critical for break-in on many new/overhauled engines) and made broad assumptions that it works for all engines out there. It may work for most, but it doesn’t for all, and when it doesn’t, you’re talking about damage to very expensive components. I have to buy overpriced boutique oils for my Silver Shadow engine (25k to rebuild) because of this. Ditto for the “fits-all” coolants, with OAT/IAT and hybrid mixes which, if you use the wrong one, can destroy the seals of older engines found in many classic cars such as Rolls-Royce, and ditto for differential and gear oils that may have additives that can destroy phosphor-bronze components present in many Asian cars. With Honda’s eye toward precise engineering, you can bet they have the additives right for Honda products, so I buy Honda Genuine for everything. Even some dealers use off-brand oil and other fluids (my local Acura and Honda dealer parts departments often don’t have the Honda-branded oil in viscosities I need for my Acura RL and Honda S2000) so I’m servicing all three of my Honda products myself and depend on Bernadi for great pricing, quick shipping and great website experience (for example, showing which crush washers you need when you choose a fluid). For those of us who care enough to do right by our precision-engineered Hondas and Acuras, Bernardi is a great place to go when you want it fast and want it right. Don’t play Russian Roulette with your car- use the fluids designed specifically for it.

For the past several years I've been using Mobil One full synthetics in my Hondas and never had problem with it. I am very well aware of Rolls-Royce's picky fluid requirements as my late step-dad owned three different models at the time. He poured alot of money in maintenance and I kept telling him stop buying Rolls and get Mercedes or other brand instead that are more reliable and less maintenance expense. He let his big ego get in the way of any rationale towards a car. I guess for some of us who are obsessed with our cars we tend to do this but he went too far at the time. lol.

Being 68, I'm well aware of the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" ....... But as an old dog i'm willing to try, and there are so many new tricks coming to light in our new tech age, I feel I need to listen. I don't see any reason not to use what they recommend, 0 / W30 was a long way from me ever thinking about using, I've always gone with 20 / 30 , 10 / 30 etc......... then along came synthetics and I started using those and wow what a difference, but for a change with my Honda MC and now my Honda car, I've been using Honda's oil regular and synthetic, of course neither have enough miles to know anything from it but I'll see.

hmmm .... i have almost 8000kms or 5000miles on my EX and the imid says i still have 60% life left in my oil.... and if i look at it on the dipstick, its almost clear still and feels very oily....

my dealer uses mobil 1 0w20
I think any 0w20 name brand will be ok , Mobil 1 is on the top of the list. and also a good synthetic is even be better. If I am to change from a Honda oil , Mobil would be my choice...... Of course Amsoil is a top rated synthetic, but usually charge to much for it.

Honestly Mobil 1 is the best to get and available anywhere including Walmart.

Back