Oil changes in 2012 Civic

desiguyinnc

Long Island, NY
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys, I just wanted to know what are the recommended oil change intervals in the new civic. I just got my oil changed at a different dealer from where I bought the car from and they told me to change it every 3000 miles. The dealership I bought it from told me I don't have to change it until the maintenance sign comes on. Let me know what you guys do, it would help me a lot! Thanks!

Here is a copy of what I told another user when he was asking about his 1st oil change. The info pertains to additional oil changes as well, and lab tests showing various brands of oil at various intervals without failure.

there is no magic time to do the 1st. Some people swear by doing an early change - in the first 500 miles, some wait 3k, and some go purely off the maintenance minder in the dash (which could be 7k or so based on driving style). Each person you ask will have their own opinion on when you do your changes. The oil life meter does not sample your oil, or determine if it's gone bad. It monitors revolutions and calculates oil life % left. They say to change it at 15% oil life left. You're not going to hurt the car by changing it prior to that. There are individuals who submitted their oil for analysis after 10k miles, and they were instructed to go 12k miles on their next change and report back. (granted those intervals were after their initial oil change - links below for examples)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2039741
here is an 05 civic si with a 10k mile interval change on penzoil platinum.

another 10k mile interval
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1710108
penzoil platinum

Mobil 1 5w20 9300 miles Honda Civic Si K20A3
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=818480&fpart=1

0w-20 - 02 Honda Civic Si K20A3, 10k miles
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240214&page=1

I'm been reading up on this as well, trying to decide whether to go by the maintenance minder or some other interval.

It doesn't look like Honda publishes a recommended interval anywhere—not in the manual,not on their website, not on ownerlink—they always say to follow the MM. But, I did find that Edmunds includes the 2012 Civic in their section on maintenance schedules, and for the Si it calls for 10,000 mile intervals. (I didn't check the other trims.) In fact, you can match up all the MM codes to the various intervals of 10K, 20K, 30K, and 60K miles. I'm assuming Edmunds gets their information from Honda, but I don't know that for sure.

I understand MM is meant to simplify scheduled maintenance, but I don't know what could be simpler than following a mileage schedule. Then I realized that in the past, manufacturers had different schedules for "normal" and "severe" driving, and trying to determine which to follow is where the guesswork came in. So dealers and mechanics defaulted everyone to "severe" and the 3000 mile oil change interval just to be safe.

I believe that's what MM is able to do for you. It can't determine the quality of the oil, but it can monitor all of those parameters that are used to differentiate between "normal" and "severe" driving conditions, and determine the appropriate maintenance schedule. So it's not there because drivers are too dumb to follow a mileage schedule. It's there because knowing which mileage schedule to follow can be difficult to determine. Also, it can customize a maintenance schedule to your driving conditions if they fall somewhere between "normal" and "severe" and it can adjust on the fly if your driving conditions change.

You got Sophocles
Also as a side note every Honda dealer service sticker i see at least in the bay area says 15% with no date or mileage listed for service.

bobistheoilguy.com is a great resource for info on oil. I only use redline and change it between 10 and 15,000 mi. Modern synthetics WILL last that long with no problems.

An unrelated maintenance tip is do not change your air filter too often if you want your engine to last. A dirty filter will always clean the air better than a clean air filter. It is also a myth that a new air filter will give you better gas mileage. I will not. The only thing a dirty air filter might do is reduce power slightly. Most new cars air filter will last 30_50,000 mi with no loss in power.

One thing I don't understand. I took my car to the dealership for an oil change a couple of times. The first time they put 15% on the sticker for when I'm due. Next time they actually put the mileage on the sticker which was 4,000 miles for my next oil change, and underneath it it said 15%. I can drive over 6,000 miles before I get to 15%. I was just gonna keep doing it at 15% but now they threw me for a loop putting that mileage on there. 4,000 miles and my oil life is at about 60%. Any idea on why they do that? NOw I'm not sure if I should do it at 4,000 or at 15%. Sorry for these silly oil questions which I'm sure all you guys are sick to death of seeing. lol

I am wondering the same thing as 'Jayman',
Before the dealer would put 15% oil life on my next oil change sticker. Now they place it at 5,000 miles. However at 5,000 miles my oil life is only 50%. And the owners manual says to follow the oil life.

Just follow the I-mid, I follow it religiously and I am at almost 27k now. Without one issue.

Meh. Amsoil. Change it once a year. Speaking of. Almost time to put some fresh oil and transmission fluid in for The Dragon!

Reactions: Nix
Meh. Amsoil. Change it once a year. Speaking of. Almost time to put some fresh oil and transmission fluid in for The Dragon!

Very true! I am doing my trans fluid this weekend. Then I will be looking into tires too, because I am still on my stockies!

Back