Oil level

Spider210

Normally I change my own oil... I am anal about it being on the full mark on my level garage floor.

Anyways I just got it changed at the dealership and its right above the low or first dot. Should I be concerned and bring it back and ask them to add half a quart more?

You may have your way for where you want it(oil level), but the rule of thumb is a little low is better than a little high...........

The technical answer for checking your "Honda"(per manual), is to check it "5" min. after turning the engine off.(and car sitting level).

On a personal note, I like my oil level on the top mark and no higher, and no less than 2/3rds of the range on the high/low indicator.

As far as the dealer filling with a 50 gallon barrel, they usually over fill(not always, some ppl are good at their jobs, and others just work).
So I ask them not to over fill, and keep a bottle of oil at home to top it up the way I want to do it.

mine is due and i'm thinking to do it myself, the required oil is 0w-20 and i'm thinking to get the royal purple. can anyone guide me.. it's my first change.

Other than being too low to the ground (only had trucks before) this Civic is the easiest to change the oil on by far. No taking off skid plates or maneuvering the oil filter via the passenger wheel well. Just go underneath, the oil filter is there and the drain plug. Only gripe is the filter is vertical, so you get oil on you when you take the filter off. Oh well, a little mess is better than busting a knuckle.

Back