Ok. What is this noise

fg3_colton

Tampa
Vehicle Model
Civic, LX
Body Style
Coupe
The dealer doesn't seem to know what is causing this noise because they have already "Fixed" (charged me for work that wasn't done and only made my problem worse) and can't seem to tell me what the problem is. It makes this noise when I'm at low speeds, or when I'm turning left at any speed. Attached is a video that lets you hear what I'm talking about. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3y2dTQrpb3TNmJ0TjJLVFp1amM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What work did they do on the car? What does the invoice say they did? If I just heard the noise alone, my guess would be the sound of a heat shield rattling against the muffler pipe. If it only is doing this when you make turns or whatever, that wouldn't really make sense at all. Have you tried turning the wheel all of the way and looking behind your tire into the fender well? Is there a piece of metal that is rubbing on the tire stuck into the plastic of the fender liner? It could be something as stupid as that, and your tire is making contact when turning?

What work did they do on the car? What does the invoice say they did? If I just heard the noise alone, my guess would be the sound of a heat shield rattling against the muffler pipe. If it only is doing this when you make turns or whatever, that wouldn't really make sense at all. Have you tried turning the wheel all of the way and looking behind your tire into the fender well? Is there a piece of metal that is rubbing on the tire stuck into the plastic of the fender liner? It could be something as stupid as that, and your tire is making contact when turning?

The tech said that the vacuum plate behind the rotor was bent and rubbing so he would straighten it out. Afterwards the noise was louder by a long shot. Nothing looks wrong when you're just looking at the wheel, I don't have tools or a jack so I have no way of doing an inspection myself.

What I'm suggesting is quite easy, and you can look for yourself. Without jacking the car up, turn your wheels hard right while parked. So your front wheels will pointed like this
/-----/

Then, peek down on the drivers side front wheel. Look at the gap between your drivers door and the back of the wheel. I am guessing something is rubbing on the inside plastic liner closest to the drivers door side, because when you turn left your wheels do this
\-----\

That inside edge towards the drivers door is my guess. You may be able to see it.

If not:

My second suggestion would to just remove the drivers side wheel. At least from your video it seems quite loud on that side, so I'm guessing it is on the drivers side. (If it's the same on the passenger side- check the passenger side tire as well, but more than likely it'd be on the front inside tire towards the front bumper side). \-----\

You have a car jack in your truck provided by Honda. Lift your truck liner up and you'll see it with your spare tire.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2...your-car-and-where-to-place-jack-stands.5759/

^ this shows where to place the jack.

You'll also find the tool to remove your lug nuts with the jack. Remove the 5 lug nut bolts on the wheel and then you can actually see the full wheel liner without the tire in the way. Your manual also has a step by step on replacing a tire.

If you don't feel like doing anything, I'd take it back to Honda and let them hear it again. There is no way you should have received the car back like that "fixed".

That's what I thought and what they said it was. So I had them straighten it and then as shown in the video, the noise was louder. So I drove back about 2 hours ago and made them fix it again

And how is it now?

And how is it now?

It's all good now, I requested to watch the repair process to make sure it was actually done this time. Got a free wash wax and detail out of it to. Just find it ridiculous that they would tell me it's fixed when it clearly wasn't, like that **** was loud I don't know how someone wouldn't be able to hear that.

Well that's cool you got it resolved and that's all it was.

Currently dealing with this issue. I can't seem to keep it from finding its way back to touching the rotor. Pulling them off is probably my next move.

I've been hearing a rattling nose and I'm sure it's the dust shield. Just haven't had the time to pull it apart and try to fix it. Would pulling them off be the right move?

My dp is rattling against a shield somewhere down there. I was thinking of wrapping it in heat wrap before I go pulling off shields. But also don't want to have to get under there more then once. Lol.

I've been hearing a rattling nose and I'm sure it's the dust shield. Just haven't had the time to pull it apart and try to fix it. Would pulling them off be the right move?

I've gotten it to stop for a few days just by bending it back through the rims but no luck stopping it for good. I've seen other people cut them off for this reason and don't think it's caused them any other issues. Can't be hard to get a replacement if it does though. I'd rather get to the actual bolts instead of cutting though.

My dp is rattling against a shield somewhere down there. I was thinking of wrapping it in heat wrap before I go pulling off shields. But also don't want to have to get under there more then once. Lol.

Wrapping it would have to solve the issue if that's what it actually is.

I'd rather get to the actual bolts instead of cutting though.

Having removed mine while installing my BBK, I can tell you that is easier said than done. The bolts are behind the wheel bearing, which means you have to remove the entire bearing assembly, brake rotor, etc just to get it off. It's much easier to cut it with tin snips (or a torch if you have access to one). It's almost effortless once you cut the little piece near the hub.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Back