Out of curiosity does your mileage get slightly better as it brakes in?

I was frustrated with my mpg since getting the car, I was always around 26-28 mpg with mixed highway/city driving, no matter how much I babied the car.

Well I'm at 8000kms now, and I just took my first 4 hour highway road trip with the LX. Finally got a solid 37mpg average, and that was with my 400+lb buddy in the passenger seat :)

I just got an oil change and refilled my gas yesterday. My Ex is at 6900 miles now and my last tank got me 36.8 mpg with Econ off according to my trip computer. I drive about 70% highway/30% city. Been using 89 octane ever since I got the car. I have a feeling the warm weather has more to do with my increased MPG. My car was getting about 33-34 mpg in the winter months driving the same routes.
It's a know fact that in winter months millage decreases for a few reasons one being the additives and the other is expansion and contraction of the gas it's self. In the winter your gas is more dense hence you gas is consumed faster and in summer it expands meaning more millage

I think the savings I would see in the summer compared to the winter go out the window because I drive it harder in the summer. I've been at 8.5l/100kms (around 27mpg) combined city and highway for the past 6 months.

I swapped over to my summer tires this month and my best mpg jumped up by about 4.5-5mpg. The best I've done in the winter was about 35.5-36mpg but this week while on the highway i got 40.9mpg. My car only has 6500miles on her and hasn't even had her first oil change yet. 40-41mpg is pretty good especially since the 5spd is rated for 36mp and I live in a fairly hilly area, if i was in the prairies it might even be higher.

heres a sweet tip, take your traction control off, you will gain a bit more MPG's
Wow. So I wasn't imagining things. I tried that one day on my way home from work. I normally average 5.8-6.2L/100km's driving for 35 min about 40Km. When I turned traction control off I got 5.3L/100km which I thought was a freak one time only deal. Gonna test this theory on Monday.

So I was definitely the Debbie Downer on here when it came to mileage with pretty low numbers...

I just returned from a 420 mile journey through Pennsylvania and got great numbers. I filled up with a full tank in Pittsburgh and averaged 37.8mpg (GetGo Gas) and then filled up on the way back with ~120 miles left in the trip at a Sunoco. As I pulled into my house my reading was at 40.1mpg, down from 40.8 when I got off the highway. This trip was cruise at 70-72mph with short bursts faster and lots of PA construction, with A/C on!

I'm very pleased on this trip through the mountains!

Last edited:
Wow. So I wasn't imagining things. I tried that one day on my way home from work. I normally average 5.8-6.2L/100km's driving for 35 min about 40Km. When I turned traction control off I got 5.3L/100km which I thought was a freak one time only deal. Gonna test this theory on Monday.
I just tested this as well. I always get around 28 - 29 mpg driving around in the city. I turned off traction control and did a 20 minute drive through pretty heavy traffic, and I got 34mpg. Then I left it on for the return trip an hour later in the same conditions and I got my usual 29mpg.

So it definitely seems to help. Anyone know why this is? Also, is it safe to have it off all the time? Maybe I'll just keep it on when its raining/snowing heavily

I just tested this as well. I always get around 28 - 29 mpg driving around in the city. I turned off traction control and did a 20 minute drive through pretty heavy traffic, and I got 34mpg. Then I left it on for the return trip an hour later in the same conditions and I got my usual 29mpg.

So it definitely seems to help. Anyone know why this is? Also, is it safe to have it off all the time? Maybe I'll just keep it on when its raining/snowing heavily

My guess is, is it safe to ride with it off? I've been driving/riding since the late 50's in vehicles that never had TC in them to turn on or off, so I'd say it's as safe as any car that never had TC in the 1st place.

My guess to why it get's worse mileage while on, is in order to control the traction it has to disallow free wheeling to keep control of the traction, and that creates "drag".

You gotta think witj it on your always going to be restricted with it as its always gonna wanna use uts own power to slow you down, I turn it off as soon as I get in my car, and as I dont winter drive it, it should never be an issue

Back