Parking the Civic for the winter

SpaceJam

Alberta, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I'm parking my car for the first time this winter and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. What tips do you have to winterize and make the start up in the spring go smoothly? Any ideas to keep mice out? Any advice will help

I'd advise you to get some stabil gas additive. I'd also suggest getting 4 jack stands. Leaving the car in one spot for a period of time can lead to flat spots in your tires. If the car is off the ground it'll avoid that come spring time. I'd also disconnect the battery over the winter. Those are the three big things that come to mind for me.

I'd advise you to get some stabil gas additive. I'd also suggest getting 4 jack stands. Leaving the car in one spot for a period of time can lead to flat spots in your tires. If the car is off the ground it'll avoid that come spring time. I'd also disconnect the battery over the winter. Those are the three big things that come to mind for me.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Adding Stabil is a must anymore. Make sure you fill the tank and add the right amount. I would recommend to add the Stabil then fill the tank. This will give you a good mix and then be sure to run or drive the car long enough to get the treated gas into the injectors. I've found the newer gas is crap and some won't make it through an extended sit.

I would change the oil too.

Once set up for storage I wouldn't start it unless you're going to drive it. If you just idle it, the condensation will build up and sit in the exhaust. There won't be enough heat generated in an idling car to burn off the condensation.

There are a couple schools of thought on the battery. Disconnecting is a good place to start. Some people don't bother to throw a tender on it. The thinking being if it's dead when you go to use it, it might need replacing anyways. I like to charge mine. There could always be adverse conditions forcing a battery to lose charge and you can mitigate that with a battery tender. Why let a battery die if it didn't need to?

Don't forget to check the coolant as well.

I've learned this from years of setting up my bike for the winter. Oh and watching my Camaro deteriorate in the driveway.

Good luck

Adding Stabil is a must anymore. Make sure you fill the tank and add the right amount. I would recommend to add the Stabil then fill the tank. This will give you a good mix and then be sure to run or drive the car long enough to get the treated gas into the injectors. I've found the newer gas is crap and some won't make it through an extended sit.

I would change the oil too.

Once set up for storage I wouldn't start it unless you're going to drive it. If you just idle it, the condensation will build up and sit in the exhaust. There won't be enough heat generated in an idling car to burn off the condensation.

There are a couple schools of thought on the battery. Disconnecting is a good place to start. Some people don't bother to throw a tender on it. The thinking being if it's dead when you go to use it, it might need replacing anyways. I like to charge mine. There could always be adverse conditions forcing a battery to lose charge and you can mitigate that with a battery tender. Why let a battery die if it didn't need to?

Don't forget to check the coolant as well.

I've learned this from years of setting up my bike for the winter. Oh and watching my Camaro deteriorate in the driveway.

Good luck

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Going to do some running around today to prepare.

Back