Parts pricing

CivicCanuck

North
Vehicle Model
Civic
Ok, I live in Ontario Canada, and I know we pay quite a bit more for some items than we would if we were in the US... but this isn't even close to fair. Screenshots from an Ontario dealership that I will not name and the other is College Hills Honda - pricing out a new grille to paint, rather than tear my car apart first.

3.86 times as much here?!? Highway robbery. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

American Honda.JPGCanadian Honda.JPG

I take it you can't order from where you are to a company in the USA and get what you want at our prices ? Is it your Countries tax causing to diff' , or what ?

I take it you can't order from where you are to a company in the USA and get what you want at our prices ? Is it your Countries tax causing to diff' , or what ?

Yes, I can order from the US, I order quite a lot of the items I buy that way, import them myself and save over buying local. I figure over the last 10 years, I have saved in the neighborhood of at least 15G, or more.

Years back, even before the computer, I recall people that could get a friend to buy and ship as a personal package to someone in another country, and get around all this crap. I don't know how Canada controls things coming in/out..........

Years back, even before the computer, I recall people that could get a friend to buy and ship as a personal package to someone in another country, and get around all this crap. I don't know how Canada controls things coming in/out..........

When I import something, I have to pay the equivalent tax as I would if I bought it here, in most cases, it's 13%.

When I import something, I have to pay the equivalent tax as I would if I bought it here, in most cases, it's 13%.
Come to think of it, I now remember from my job(retired now) that a customs form showing what's in the package has to be filled out, ... Sucks.
They're trying state by state here, to pass laws to be able to collect taxes, as we've been getting away with out having to in the past. "Die and pay taxes"

That seems extremely unfair. Is there a tariff of some sort against U.S. imports? Is this kind of markup similar in size when importing from other countries?

No tariffs under the NAFTA agreement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement

All you can blame it on is the middlemen and the gov't taking more than their fair share. I bought a gas tank / sending unit / pump combo for my pickup from Rock Auto quite a while ago. It is made here in Quebec, but sells for 3 x as much as I paid for it buying it out of the US, including the shipping to the border, the cost at the store that held it for me, the cost of importing it ( even though it was made here in Canada ) and my fuel, I was still light years ahead.

If you're willing to spend the time sending a letter to Honda pointing out the differences may be interesting, not sure if productive. I remember when USD and CAD started to be on par some people actually complained of car prices being so different and other products as well. It also made some news appearances but went quiet pretty quickly. We still get bigger prices than US but 3 times more expensive I am sure cannot be justified.

If you have any media connections I am sure it could make for some news, small waves but it may change something.

Wow. 3.86 x as expensive? And the damned things are put together in Canada anyway are they not.?

Buying a Canadian built car is more expensive to buy in the city where it is made than in US :) I know we have bigger taxes but not by that much. BTW corporate tax in Ca is 15% which is smaller than US I believe...

What we should do is work and give "ALL" our money to the governments, and let them feed us and buy us nice cars..........

Buying a Canadian built car is more expensive to buy in the city where it is made than in US :) I know we have bigger taxes but not by that much. BTW corporate tax in Ca is 15% which is smaller than US I believe...
Yeah, by 100% I think. (30% US).

Hondas MSRP's in Canada are comparable to the United States now on new cars, sometimes a little less. It's the tax on top of that which makes them more expensive. However parts and accessories even before tax are ridiculously overpriced here still.

If you're willing to spend the time sending a letter to Honda pointing out the differences may be interesting, not sure if productive. I remember when USD and CAD started to be on par some people actually complained of car prices being so different and other products as well. It also made some news appearances but went quiet pretty quickly. We still get bigger prices than US but 3 times more expensive I am sure cannot be justified.

If you have any media connections I am sure it could make for some news, small waves but it may change something.

It is small waves indeed, however if enough people gather together and go to their member of parliament, change may happen eventually. In the meantime, the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Last year I picked up a set of Tatou ATV tracks for one of my brothers in the US, to bring into Canada. Local pricing was over $ 5500 for the set. ( which is made again here in Quebec ) The price paid including truck freight to the border from a US dealer was a hair over $ 3800. Funny thing was they shipped directly from Camoplast in Quebec, they went across the border, then to Minnesota, where I picked them up and brought them back into Canada. Of course, we had to pay the HST portion of the tax ( 5% only ) since they were made in Canada.

yeah, that's crazy. I see no reason for the part being marked up that much when you can just have it shipped from the US.

What we should do is work and give "ALL" our money to the governments, and let them feed us and buy us nice cars..........

We should, politicians would get even nicer benefits than they do :)

Joking aside though I do not mind paying taxes for the school systems, health care and other services we get in Canada. Paying more to a big company just because they have good connection to lawmakers I do not find productive though :) It leads to buying abroad, company still wins but government looses.

It is small waves indeed, however if enough people gather together and go to their member of parliament, change may happen eventually. In the meantime, the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Last year I picked up a set of Tatou ATV tracks for one of my brothers in the US, to bring into Canada. Local pricing was over $ 5500 for the set. ( which is made again here in Quebec ) The price paid including truck freight to the border from a US dealer was a hair over $ 3800. Funny thing was they shipped directly from Camoplast in Quebec, they went across the border, then to Minnesota, where I picked them up and brought them back into Canada. Of course, we had to pay the HST portion of the tax ( 5% only ) since they were made in Canada.

Going to the local MP should be the thing to do. Sadly I do not trust my local MP. I always vote but sometimes you get the ones you know won't do anything. Getting more people and knowing how to make noise around it should work, but it would take proper media coverage and even then it is an uphill battle. Not to say not doable but a lot of time needed. To be honest there are bigger issues to solve for both us and politicians but this is a part of the big problem.

Back