Passenger airbag

Freddiii

Brooklyn, NY
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
hi!
Ok so sometimes when my little cousin rides shotgun, when the car comes to a stop the passenger airbag off light comes on and flashes in the imid screen. It also does it once in a while when changing gears. She is seatd properly, all the way back and seatbelt on, and she weighs more than 100lbs and she is tall like 5"6. My bf tells me maybe she's too skinny but I don't know, this never happens in any others vehicle. Any thoughts?

I'm 5'6" and 100lbs so we occasionally had this issue with our 8th gen when I used to sit in the passenger seat. LOL Especially if I shifted my weight any..forwards or back. I'd still bring it in though.

I'm 5'6" and 100lbs...

reeses-pie.jpg

If the person moves in the direct path of the side airbag it will also do that. So, if you have the person lean towards the passenger window where the airbag would normally deploy, it will alert you. It won't deploy an airbag when the person in the seat leans into the path of deployment. If this isn't the case in your situation, take the car to honda and have it looked at.

Yes - full sized adults. Two honda vehicles I've had did it. If the person would be where the side airbag would come out of the seat, it would show an alert. I'd have to get my manual, but it talked about the light coming on when a passenger was in the path of the side airbags. It said in the event of an accident, it wouldn't deploy the airbag to avoid injury etc etc

i can sometimes trip the passenger airbag light if i put my arm on the headrest during a long drive

found this from a pilot forum - sorry it is so small, but describes what I was explaining

5824d1049341723_srs_light_side_airbag_off.jpg

no problem. Again, I don't know that this is the problem the original person is having... but it at least gives them something to test. If it's not this, then they need to see honda.

K thanks. I think sometimes she doesn't sit upright she kinda slouches forward. Not really to the side but I hear that it's normal if the person isn't really heavy n leans to one side a bit. I think I'll have her sit in the back lol.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to test this with my kids. Personal opinion is that these new cars have way too many sensors.

Def way too many sensors. N lol I dunno if ur wife will wanna sit in the back Kenny. But guess what, the same thing happened with my mom up front yesterday :-/ she is about 5 ft 130lbs. I think she shifted towards me n the sensor went off. Sigh. This car is way too smart for me. Always got sum to say.

So when she sat properly in the seat the warning went away?

I guess. It usually happens when I'm downshifting/braking to slow down to a stop.

Back