Passenger airbag

I would swing by honda and have a tech take a ride with you.

N lol I dunno if ur wife will wanna sit in the back Kenny.

It'll be like "Driving Miss Daisy."

thisweek_driving-miss-daisy.jpg

My 2012 Civic is 3 weeks old and have the same passenger airbag issues. I demonstrated it to the service tech on visit number one and the service manager on visit number two. I sit in the seat and if my shoulder blades do not hit the seat back (like on a decline ramp you lean forward slightly) the airbag light turns on indicating there is no protection. They are saying there is nothing 'wrong' with the vehicle and it is operating as designed. This does not mean it is safe to drive a passenger that way. I complained to honda corporate and NHTSA. They will only take action if others raise it as an issue. I was told by the Consumer Affairs person that engineers look at service repair bills to gauge if there is an issue - well, here's the thing - if the service departments return the cars to owners saying it is operating as designed, there will be no service billing for the design engineers to look at. So what now?

I've owned two 2012 Civic Si coupes, and I've driven a rental Civic LX sedan extensively while getting premature warranty work addressed on the second Si.

Before my first Si was totaled by a teenager running a red light in March, I had the issue you are describing. If someone shifted to either direction (as if to turn around and look behind them), the light would go on turning the Passenger Air Bag off. They'd resume 'normal' position, and it would go away. I admit, it concerned me, as my 2006 Civic Si had multiple airbag failures (despite never being in an accident). However, I ultimately learned that it did not impact the airbags when the kid hit me: it's just very sensitive.

My second 2012 Si does not exhibit this, nor does the LX sedan I have as a rental. Strange? Personally, I've had a lot of quality related issues with the seats in my cars (popping, clicking, plastic sounds from seat backs, squeaking seat cushions), so the sensitivity isn't a surprise to me.

Ultimately, I think you're fine - it's just an annoyance.

Well I've gotten used to it. It only happens sometimes, like 1 out of every ten times my lighter family members sit up front, which r only my mom and little cousin. And they only ride in the car on weekends, so it's not a big deal.

Back