Pioneer Announces its First Set of Aftermarket CarPlay Systems

Pir8pete

Pioneer-Aftermarket-CarPlay-system.png

Apple’s forthcoming CarPlay standard for in-vehicle dashboards won’t be limited to new cars anymore. Pioneer recently announced that it will be bringing five aftermarket options for customers to install in their existing vehicles this summer. CarPlay support will be brought via a firmware update to five of Pioneer’s new NEX in-dash multimedia receivers, featuring a large in-dash LCD displays that can be installed in most existing vehicles. CarPlay support means that users will have Siri voice control for making and receiving calls, reading and responding to text messages, using Apple Maps for navigation, and listening to music, podcasts and iTunes Radio.

Vice President of Marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics Inc, Ted Cardenas, had the following to say regarding the matter:

Pioneer's years of expertise integrating smartphone connectivity into the automotive environment has provided us the opportunity to be among the first to offer CarPlay to drivers. By providing an aftermarket option, Pioneer's 2014 in-dash multimedia systems give many iPhone owners the ability to add CarPlay to their current vehicles.
The entry-level option will be the AV-4000NEX model, which starts at $700. Other, more fully featured models will be priced at $750, $900, $1,200 and $1,400. Beyond CarPlay support, Pioneer has also promised that its lineup of NEX dashboard installations will have a more responsive user interface than previous models. The company also says that sound quality, convenience and safety have all been enhanced as well. This particular announcement comes after another report that indicated that Alpine will also be bringing its own CarPlay options to the market. Alpine hasn’t confirmed the rumors but it’s been said the units will cost between $500 and $700 with a fall debut.

The recent announcement from Pioneer stands in contrast to comments made by Kenwood, when the company said that CarPlay wouldn’t be in any of its 2014 products. At the time, it was suggested that Apple might be reserving CarPlay as an OEM option for automakers, something which is obviously not the case.

For those of you who didn’t know, CarPlay was officially announced by Apple at the Geneva Motor Show. A rebranding of the “iOS in the Car” functionality unveiled by the company last year, CarPlay will debut in select vehicles this year from partners such as Volvo, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Hyundai and Ferrari. Future partners include Ford, Chevrolet, BMW, Kia, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more.

Now all we need to know is what model would be iMID compatible

Last edited:
iv been wondering about this as well, i wont change my stereo out until one comes out thats Imid compatible

I dont think any aftermarket radios are imid compatible are they? Wouldnt think so and wouldnt think they would ever be considering theres no standard for infotainment screens.

From what iv heard, most installs can keep the steering wheel controls but you will lose tue bluetooth controls and imid display

Because its a honda specific thing. You can maintain steering wheel controls with a seperate module that has to be programmed to your buttons.

The top model is IMID compatible and they have a steering wheel adaptor that you buy extra for $80 that will make everything work with your steering wheel.

I can't wait to get one. Saw one on display and it was amazing.

Thats actually pretty amazing. Ive never seen any aftermarket head units compatible with stock features of a vehicle. Let alone external screens such as the imid.

The top model is IMID compatible and they have a steering wheel adaptor that you buy extra for $80 that will make everything work with your steering wheel.

I can't wait to get one. Saw one on display and it was amazing.
holy **** really? so the imid works perfectly? and im assuming the bluetooth buttons will work as well?

So im assuming the newest rendition of the avic-8000nex will have this? I read on their site that if you have this unit currently, you will get an apple carplay update this summer. I wonder if that update will include i-mid functions as well or we have to wait for the new version.

So only the top model is i-MID compatible? I was thinking about trying to find a mount for a tablet or something since I have an LX and this seems like an awesome alternative but it's really pricy.

As far as I know. I have spent lots of time reading about them and the top model $1400, is the only one that mentioned it. To keep the steering wheel contols you need to buy an adaptor as well.

The other benefit is the top model is a screen like your iPhone, where you can use gestures and pinch and zoom, etc.. On the nav screens.

Yeah, me too. I am still awaiting someone to confirm whether these rumors are true!

Don't want to be a downer, but I highly doubt they can link to the iMid for two reasons. 1) Honda made the iMid as a processor, so it can't be driven by an external unit 2) Only way for any unit to utilize the iMid is if it has output peripheral signals the iMid excepts.

On the good news, oem wheels controls, Bluetooth etc can easily be incorporated with any unit that has those feature with the proper harness.

Not losing steering wheel control of Bluetooth and stereo functions is all I care about.

Don't want to be a downer, but I highly doubt they can link to the iMid for two reasons. 1) Honda made the iMid as a processor, so it can't be driven by an external unit 2) Only way for any unit to utilize the iMid is if it has output peripheral signals the iMid excepts.

On the good news, oem wheels controls, Bluetooth etc can easily be incorporated with any unit that has those feature with the proper harness.
This

Back