Premium Gas or Mid Grade??

I based it on this. http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...1-accord_x.htm
Its the news article from USA Today where Honda V-6 engineer Yasuaki Asaki says it's good for another 10 hp and 10-plus lbs.-ft. on premium, acknowledges V-6 engineer Asaki. Maybe the guy that helped design the motor doesnt know what he is talking about. Idk. I'm not saying that this applies to all cars , but it does for the j30a4 in which I was referring to.

Last edited:
The accounting department can just look at the receipt and make the employee reimburse the company for an illegitimate charge.
Right. So the card won't stop you from getting the premium. All that can happen is the guy looking at the receipt can ask for the difference.

Buy the SI. it's a little more than a 10 gallon fill up. At .30 difference between regular and premium, that's 3 bucks. If they ask, pay the difference. They can't decide what car you can or can't buy.

You could buy an Accord which has a 13 gallon fill up. Between the civic and the accord, that's a 3 gallon difference. At $3 a gallon, that's a $9 difference, with just regular. How could they say "we'll pay $50 for a tank of regular gas but not $40 for a tank of premium". Makes no sense. Even from an accounting perspective.

I say buy the car and run reg. in it, and let us know how it turned out............... I never buy used cars or MC's "either".

On the working it out with the company, it's up to the company if they'll agree to do what you are asking, they, like all organisations have the right to fall back on "policy" whether it makes since or not. I would think they would choose to do whatever is necessary to save them a buck by not granting the exception...... Just judging from why unions were started in the 1st place.... No I don't like unions........ this stuff should be done in the spirit of doing what's right.

Its a younger company , and I dont know for sure if they will give a problem. Being that they are a younger company , they might have open minds when presented with good info. ie what squiggy said about different cars with different mileage. By having the SI and its good gas mileage , I might end up saving them money even if im buying premium due to the good gas mileage that the SI offers. I hope they do as SI's are sexy and fun to drive , especially after I do what I want with it.

Last edited:
Its a younger company , and I don't know for sure if they will give a problem. From what I heard They only allow regular gas to be purchased. Being that they are a younger company , they might have open minds when presented with good info. ie what squiggy said about different cars with different mileage. By having the SI and its good gas mileage , I might end up saving them money even if i'm buying premium due to the good gas mileage that the SI offers. I hope they do as Is are sexy and fun to drive , especially after I do what I want with it.
I hope they do work with you, it does make since to allow the Si an exception........ but it will save them more money not to be nice......... Hopefully they are a good, as well as young..........

I love machinery , and dogs, and will go out of my way to look after them....... people on the other hand, bring what happens to them upon themselves.

I based it on this. http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...1-accord_x.htm
Its the news article from USA Today where Honda V-6 engineer Yasuaki Asaki says it's good for another 10 hp and 10-plus lbs.-ft. on premium, acknowledges V-6 engineer Asaki. Maybe the guy that helped design the motor doesnt know what he is talking about. Idk. I'm not saying that this applies to all cars , but it does for the j30a4 in which I was referring to.
Dated info - Article is for the 2003 Accord

I can't believe I just read two pages of this... (Tapatalk view)

A: If your even thinking about running regular gas in the Si.. Don't buy one!
B: Don't be a ginnepig (spelling) - Don't be one of those people that ruins their car (even tho you knew better) and then try to get Honda to warranty it
C: Talk to your new-to-be employer now BEFORE you buy a new vehicle about running premium and see if there is an issue. If so find a new car that runs regular gas if that's all you can afford (assuming you can't or don't want to pay the difference)

I've never owned a Civic but I have a '07 WRX. I wouldn't want to risk running regular or even 89/91 octane. I'm tuned on 93 anyways.

I use Costco gas (some people hate on it) but I don't have issues. Its cheaper in price (if your a member)

Ok so my dilemma is , my company pays for my gas but they will only pay for regular gas. I'd really like to get the 2013 si sedan in tw. Ive read through this thread with mixed reviews and still unsure if regular (87 octane) will do. Ive contacted my local Honda dealership's service department but I am awaiting a call back. From my little knowledge of cars I know that the car will adjust to the regular gas. I'm just worried about buying the car and eventually damaging the engine knock ping. I know some cars recommend premium but run fine on regular (2005 volvo s60 t5) while others hate it (bmw 330). Please help as I would love an SI.

We've got over 11,000 miles on our 2012 Si Sedan. 37 fill-ups only one was premium (91) 'cause it was only 10 cents more per gallon than 87. Overall mileage (calculated) is 32.07mpg.
One tank of premium all interstate +5 mph to 70 mph was 33.1 mpg - regular (87) was 33.3 to 35.4 at +5 to 70 mph for multiple tanks. Premium in the Berkshires is 30 to 50 cents/gallon more.
Conclusion - unless you're racing, premium isn't worth the price. (Note: My on-line Owners Manual (page 234) says 91 Octane is "recommended" (not required), and below 87 can damage engine.)
I've never heard pinging, or had any hesitation if I'm not "lugging" the engine.

^^^ Im gonna go the safe route and use 93. Hope you're not gunning it at all. LOL.

You said you got 32mpg with regular and about 34mpg with 93. That's 2 mpg difference. W/ 11 gallons, that's 22 miles difference, at 34 mpg, that's about $3 worth of gas. Well worth it to keep the engine from leaning out should you feel like putting your foot in it once in a while.

I don't understand people... Buy a vehicle that requires premium gasoline (according to manufacturer) but put lower octane in because it saves you money....

Why not get an EX/LX model that requires lower octane gas?

Buy a performance car but don't put better fuel in it.... :confused:

If you don't have money for the gas don't buy the car! :mad:

That just doesn't make sense. Usually you have to swipe the card before you make the fuel selection.
True. We can get premium. But if we do the fuel company in turn sends the bill to my boss and we get in trouble instead of paying it. They won't cover it in the end.

True. We can get premium. But if we do the fuel company in turn sends the bill to my boss and we get in trouble instead of paying it. They won't cover it in the end.
So what if you owned an Expedition that takes regular, but needs about $100 to fill up?

Or do they put a limit on that too?

So what if you owned an Expedition that takes regular, but needs about $100 to fill up?

Or do they put a limit on that too?
My scenario is a little different. I have a company fleet vehicle that they issue to me. They know how much it costs to fill it up and set the limits accordingly. I'm just wondering if the company the OP works for has a fuel card as well or is paid mileage or what. Even if I were to use my car there is a daily limit on my fuel card. I think its like $300 a day or something.

if gas were 3.75, that would be 80 gallons of gas. @30mpg...that's 2400 miles in a day. :hyper: 100mph constantly for 24hrs.

if gas were 3.75, that would be 80 gallons of gas. @30mpg...that's 2400 miles in a day. :hyper: 100mph constantly for 24hrs.
It may be a weekly limit. I'm not sure. I know I've hit the limit before and had to get it extended. I average anywhere between 100 and 300 miles a day. Just depends on how far I have to go those days. I'm about to be getting about 17 or 18 mpg though.

Back