Questions about performance upgrades

I also think besides emissions some customers, maybe more than we think buy these cars for looks and social status. A pure performance version will turn away many customers for being too loud, uncomfortable or too raw. Another considerent is that for a 100k there is always a much more performance oriented beast available and they do not want to undercut it with the lower models. I remember in the 80s when a lot of muscle cars were more affordable, as well as a lot of mid price range japanese sports cars, nowadays not so many. Maybe it is just my impression i did not actually compare how many models and what prices they had.
This holds some weight as well. When I was still selling Hondas, I had quote a few older customers looking for a fairly loaded small sedan with a manual transmission. Since Honda (at least in the US) doesn't offer the EX or EX-L sedan with a manual, the Si is the only "loaded" version (power everything, alloy wheels, sunroof, premium audio, etc.) available with a stick. If it was too raw, a lot of those customers wouldn't have anything to consider at all, and would be shopping another brand.

Ok so if I delete the resonator do I have to worry about hydrolock like with a cai?
No. The cai places the filter down low. This allows the filter to get soaked in deep puddles and then the intake has no choice but to draw in water. On the stock intake with the filter up high, unless that tube is completely sealed all the way up and then submerged in water, it won't be able to draw in enough water to make hydrolock a concern.

Basically, if the filter gets soaked, it has to suck in some water to start moving air again. Keeping the filter up high gives you less chance of that happening.

Air is gonna take the path of least resistance. That's the premise that allowed bypass filters on some cold air intakes to work and prevent hydro lock. Normally, if the lower filter is dry, air has an easier time entering through there. However, when it gets wet, the water firms a kind if barrier, and air instead flows through the bypass.

Honestly, unless you go splashing through a ton of deep puddles or like to submerge your front end, there's very little chance of ruining your motor with a cai from hydro lock

Honestly, unless you go splashing through a ton of deep puddles or like to submerge your front end, there's very little chance of ruining your motor with a cai from hydro lock
So if me and my car like swimming together this is a bad idea.... :( jk jk, this will be the next thing I do, not crazy about removing the fender liner though.

This.

No. The cai places the filter down low. This allows the filter to get soaked in deep puddles and then the intake has no choice but to draw in water. On the stock intake with the filter up high, unless that tube is completely sealed all the way up and then submerged in water, it won't be able to draw in enough water to make hydrolock a concern.

Don't worry about tearing your car apart. Hondas are pretty easy to work on. I was nervous the first time I took my bumper off. Once I did it and saw how easy they put things together it made trying other projects a lot easier. There should be some good guides on here. I believe there is a res delete thread even.

Back