Recalls

bmac

Covington, La
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Sedan
So when I dropped my car off yesterday to get detailed they told me I have a factory recall on the hood due to poor paint quality. They showed me what looks like "cat hair" in the paint on the hood of the car. My question is has anyone else heard this? I can't seem to find any information on it.

Last edited:
Yep, I got a warranty extension notice in the mail about paint. I believe they're extending the paint warranty to 7 years.

mine has a patch up at the top of the hood where it meets the frame just under the windshield where paint looks like it just came off. its like 2-2.5 inches long.

@FooBird had this paint problem.

Yup. Now that I have a piece of paper in hand, I will go to the dealer that made me jump through a hundred hoops that I wasn't being out of line. I agree with @hotdogjohnny that they should have covered the bumper too. Hood and fenders look good and the bumper needs some love.

My problem is I bought the car used and only had a powertrain warranty. I never got anything in the mail.

My problem is I bought the car used and only had a powertrain warranty. I never got anything in the mail.

Was the dealer going to work with you on it? Sounds like they are going to. This warranty extension just came out less than a couple weeks ago here in the US. If they want to repaint your hood, let them do it. No money out of your pocket or skin off your nose. Be glad your dealer was being forthcoming. Mine was stonewalling.

Was the dealer going to work with you on it? Sounds like they are going to. This warranty extension just came out less than a couple weeks ago here in the US. If they want to repaint your hood, let them do it. No money out of your pocket or skin off your nose. Be glad your dealer was being forthcoming. Mine was stonewalling.
I haven't talked to the dealer yet. My car is in the shop getting paint overspray removed

So honda is going to paint my car and it will take 3 days to fix the recalled paint. My only problem is it will take 3 days to fix and my local dealership refuses to rent a car for me. I didn't cause this to happen to my paint. Why should I be the one responsible for renting a car by myself. Being under 25 I'm going to have a hell of a fee. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Honda should provide a loaner. Call Honda NA.
I called them first and they set up a case number for me then told me to call my local dealer. I called the local dealer and they straight up said no. Honda NA told me if they said no then call them back to open liaison case. I guess I will call them back now.

So I talked to the service manager at the dealer and he called the the DPSM and they said they don't cover rentals or loaners. So I called Honda NA and they have escalated my case to the case manager. I should hear back within the next 3 days.

I've had a similar situation, and they ended up giving me a used car off their lot to use. Wasn't the greatest, but kept me from having to get a rental. Hopefully they work with you.

I've had a similar situation, and they ended up giving me a used car off their lot to use. Wasn't the greatest, but kept me from having to get a rental. Hopefully they work with you.
I hope they do. I'm not asking for a Lamborghini. Just something that will get me from one point to another for three days. That's all. I have full coverage that my insurance would transfer to so I don't see the problem.

I hope they do. I'm not asking for a Lamborghini. Just something that will get me from one point to another for three days. That's all. I have full coverage that my insurance would transfer to so I don't see the problem.
They'll work with you. This is one of the rare times that the dealers get a chance to put a stick in Honda America's eye. It's usually the other way around. You just happen to be in the middle while they fight. I would call Honda Am. relentlessly complaining that the dealer is uncooperative, etc. (only if they are). Then tell them you want to liaison through another dealership if this one's so bad. After all, you did not paint the car with water color and a coat of clear nail polish. Honda did that.

So honda of America is bringing my case to the district manager. They said that is as high as it could go. It doesn't look good as far as a loaner vehicle is concerned. I am waiting for a response from the dealership in the town I work in to give me a call back to see what they can do. I'm on the verge of giving up on honda.

So honda of America is bringing my case to the district manager. They said that is as high as it could go. It doesn't look good as far as a loaner vehicle is concerned. I am waiting for a response from the dealership in the town I work in to give me a call back to see what they can do. I'm on the verge of giving up on honda.
I can't blame you. Honda America can do more for you if they want to. They want the car for three days to fix their mistake, which they could have avoided by using a decently thick basecoat paint and thicker clear coat, but now you have to find alternate transportation? Tell Honda America you plan to file a complaint with the NHTSA over the failure to provide a loaner, the BBA, KBB, and tell them that you plan to tell everyone you know about this, for years to come, that they should avoid Hondas because they are now painted and trimmed out with flimsy "earth-friendly" products that do not hold up to daily use. And, the company no longer stands behind its products. At least you'll feel better.

So honda is going to paint my car and it will take 3 days to fix the recalled paint. My only problem is it will take 3 days to fix and my local dealership refuses to rent a car for me. I didn't cause this to happen to my paint. Why should I be the one responsible for renting a car by myself. Being under 25 I'm going to have a hell of a fee. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Also, if they're being that stubborn, ask for one of their fleet cars or a used car from their lot.

Back