Richmond VA meet Saturday 4/13?

Ski Diving? Sounds....interesting.

It is a fun sport, but has gotten pricey over the years. But there's a completion aspect that most people don't even know exist, and this place is/was a big draw do to the
name brand jumpers who hung out there, I don't know if it's still like that. http://www.skydivinginwestpointva.com/the-drop-zone/ Just looked this up and it's changed to a total training facility, but that's a good thing if someone want's to learn. there were two sports I got pretty good at doing, but the price ran me out of both, down hill skiing and skydiving. I started they were both under $4 to $8 a jump, and $7 to $10 for a day on the slopes. Now $35 and up for one day on the slopes., and for one jump.

But getting back to jumping, I like the free fall part best, there's so much to offer as far as doing different types of stunts/flying/etc.

It is a fun sport, but has gotten pricey over the years. But there's a completion aspect that most people don't even know exist, and this place is/was a big draw do to the
name brand jumpers who hung out there, I don't know if it's still like that. http://www.skydivinginwestpointva.com/the-drop-zone/ Just looked this up and it's changed to a total training facility, but that's a good thing if someone want's to learn. there were two sports I got pretty good at doing, but the price ran me out of both, down hill skiing and skydiving. I started they were both under $4 to $8 a jump, and $7 to $10 for a day on the slopes. Now $35 and up for one day on the slopes., and for one jump.

But getting back to jumping, I like the free fall part best, there's so much to offer as far as doing different types of stunts/flying/etc.

Only downside to the free fall is that it doesn't last long enough. :( My wife got stuck with a crappy instructor on her second tandem this past year. After the chute deployed, the guy just grabbed the left toggle and pulled hard all the way down. :turbospin: (For those unfamiliar with skydiving and how the chutes work, this resulted in a VERY FAST spin all the way down.)

Only downside to the free fall is that it doesn't last long enough. :( My wife got stuck with a crappy instructor on her second tandem this past year. After the chute deployed, the guy just grabbed the left toggle and pulled hard all the way down. :turbospin: (For those unfamiliar with skydiving and how the chutes work, this resulted in a VERY FAST spin all the way down.)
Absolutely too short on time, then came the vertical wind tunnels that you can learn in an hour what would take months in the sky, but they over price $$$$$ both the sky and tunnels. You can say running the A/C has a cost, but the tunnels are run on a equell footing with the A/C to stop the ppl from giving up on the A/C and just do the tunnel, which I think wouldn't happen, nothing replaces going 50 miles a hour across while dropping at 125, that about 50% flying......

Absolutely too short on time, then came the vertical wind tunnels that you can learn in an hour what would take months in the sky, but they over price $$$$$ both the sky and tunnels. You can say running the A/C has a cost, but the tunnels are run on a equell footing with the A/C to stop the ppl from giving up on the A/C and just do the tunnel, which I think wouldn't happen, nothing replaces going 50 miles a hour across while dropping at 125, that about 50% flying......

I think a little bit of time in a tunnel would be worthwhile. Maybe half an hour. It would be better than having to repay for multiple jumps during certification due to failing some maneuvers.

Hop and pops are $16 and full altitude is $25 out our local DZ. ASP program is $2600 as a bundle.

HP's prices sound better than most, and 10,500 at 25 isn't bad either, comparatively. Your right about 30 min in a tunnel being the best way to learn.

HP's prices sound better than most, and 10,500 at 25 isn't bad either, comparatively. Your right about 30 min in a tunnel being the best way to learn.

You figure 30 mins is equal to about 30 jumps worth of free fall. ASP program is 22 jumps at $2600+. A couple hundred bucks to be prepared for maneuvering befors going through the program would be well worth it. More time to enjoy the program as opposed to being worried about learning AND properly executing maneuvers.

12,000 to 12,500 for full altitude, btw.

Monk

The thing that really sucks is my wife and I want jump more, but cannot afford to get licensed yet. Which means the only way to do it is to continue to do tandems...

I am hoping to go to the dragon this year. Just bought flashpro, and paying for a wedding all at the same time.. sooooo fingers crossed that I will be at the dragon! (i know it is in september, but I work in the school system and don't get paid for summers!!!)

Looking forward to seeing u @ the Dragon this yr!

Flashback...

Crab meet in 2008
Picture115.jpg

Little late to the party (been lurking, just registered mostly to get in on this whole ToTD thing). I am a Richmonder though if anyone wants to get something going down here or in NoVa.

Back