Rotor upgrade 14-15 Si coupe ? keeping stock caliper!

SlySi

Westchester, N.Y
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
coupe
Any suggestion on good rotors for autocross and street? I plan to change pads and rotors only. Don't want to break the bank either. Probably that, some new S.S brake lines and fluids should dot it? Plan to throw on some caliper covers if don't need to upgrade them.

Edit: I have read the smoking brake thread numerous times, although very helpful and full of information. I found it has very little on rotors, brand, materials, etc. Lots of info on brake pads. Really looking for rotor info. The entire suspension brake section is more about suspension then braking

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Alternative: DOT 4........ SS lines..... Covers....... Now all you need to do is change your pads more often, and clean your rotors with brake cleaner on a regular basis.
As for making the rotors/pads work their best, running them in properly(painting) is a most.........

Get up to about 55/60 mph and press hard on the brake till you are down to 5/10 mph(****DO NOT ALLOW THE CAR TO COME TO A COMPLETE STOP DURING THIS PROCCESS*****)..... repeat this about 7 times to get the pad to apply to the rotor....... Even after all 7 times keep the car moving till the rotors cool........

Find a place to safely do it....WATCH YOUR MIRRORS........

Alternative: DOT 4........ SS lines..... Covers....... Now all you need to do is change your pads more often, and clean your rotors with brake cleaner on a regular basis.
As for making the rotors/pads work their best, running them in properly(painting) is a most.........

Get up to about 55/60 mph and press hard on the brake till you are down to 5/10 mph(****DO NOT ALLOW THE CAR TO COME TO A COMPLETE STOP DURING THIS PROCCESS*****)..... repeat this about 7 times to get the pad to apply to the rotor....... Even after all 7 times keep the car moving till the rotors cool........

Find a place to safely do it....WATCH YOUR MIRRORS........

So in other words keep stock rotors and calipers and only worry about pads, and fluids? Does this mean I can spend my money on wheels and tires and not 1,500 on BBC.

So in other words keep stock rotors and calipers and only worry about pads, and fluids? Does this mean I can spend my money on wheels and tires and not 1,500 on BBC.
Absolutely...:D
If your goal is to be competitive at local race functions, then understanding how to make what you have, work to it's best for you... By doing that you'll make more informed decisions though practice and, not talking but listening to people that are racing with you and what's a good part/s to mod.

Pads and fluid should do you well. Unless you are running very very aggressive track pads the stock rotors should last you plenty long. If you're eating rotors with super harsh pads a second set of cheap track day rotors would be the way to go and swap them at the track. Stay away from the drilled rotors unless they are the $200/each ones.

I would not suggest SS lines as they improve pedal feel but not braking and on a DD there are some issues you can run into. Stick with the stock lines. SS lines are meant to be changed out fairly often, stock rubber lines are for the life of the car.

High temp fluid is great. But like most high performance parts its meant to be swapped often as well. MotulRBF600 is fantastic fluid and tons of people run it. However, it is very hygroscopic and absorbs moisture faster than other fluids. It should be changed once a year, minimum. If you are tracking hard you will probably be flushing it more often anyways. Auto-X and DD, it might be a bit overkill.

As an everyday fluid that can withstand some heat i would point you towards the ATE Type200 Amber fluid. Its a good improvement over the stock fluid but won't need to be changed as often either. You can probably get a couple years out of it. It's what I run and it holds up very well on long extended "mountain" runs. Its also super cheap at $22-ish and available from TireRack.

Tires are the best spot to spend money. A few guys on here track their cars pretty hard and I know markA had some pad issues due to heat but he's disappeared. Do the fluid, pads, and great tires.

I think @Safe Gabe might have some useful input too. I've seen him post lots of track day pics.

BBK = Big brake kit

BBC = eh..... well.... Im gonna chalk that up to a typo. But still, don't pay for it! hahahah

Pads and fluid should do you well. Unless you are running very very aggressive track pads the stock rotors should last you plenty long. If you're eating rotors with super harsh pads a second set of cheap track day rotors would be the way to go and swap them at the track. Stay away from the drilled rotors unless they are the $200/each ones.

I would not suggest SS lines as they improve pedal feel but not braking and on a DD there are some issues you can run into. Stick with the stock lines. SS lines are meant to be changed out fairly often, stock rubber lines are for the life of the car.

High temp fluid is great. But like most high performance parts its meant to be swapped often as well. MotulRBF600 is fantastic fluid and tons of people run it. However, it is very hygroscopic and absorbs moisture faster than other fluids. It should be changed once a year, minimum. If you are tracking hard you will probably be flushing it more often anyways. Auto-X and DD, it might be a bit overkill.

As an everyday fluid that can withstand some heat i would point you towards the ATE Type200 Amber fluid. Its a good improvement over the stock fluid but won't need to be changed as often either. You can probably get a couple years out of it. It's what I run and it holds up very well on long extended "mountain" runs. Its also super cheap at $22-ish and available from TireRack.

Tires are the best spot to spend money. A few guys on here track their cars pretty hard and I know markA had some pad issues due to heat but he's disappeared. Do the fluid, pads, and great tires.

I think @safegabe might have some useful input too. I've seen him post lots of track day pics.

BBK = Big brake kit

BBC = eh..... well.... Im gonna chalk that up to a typo. But still, don't pay for it! hahahah

Haha lol. Yeah typo! Thx guys! Wheels coming soon! What a relief

Back