RPMs sticking for a few seconds

desiguyinnc

Long Island, NY
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
Hi guys I have a 2012 civic with 72k miles on it. I noticed the RPMs start sticking when I let go of the gas when I go at 40 miles and above. The RPMs stay around 2500 and slowly fall down after about 5 seconds or so after releasing the gas pedal. Does anyone know why this is happening?

It's known as "rev hang" and it's normal. The car was designed that way for emissions reasons. The only way to get rid of it is through an ecu tune with ktuner or flashpro from hondata. Neither option is cheap, but if you're into modifying your car, they are both really needed to actually tune the engine.

Even though webby has a point, there still may be other reasons yours is showing a hesitation out of no where, it could be gas pedal linkage needs oiling, or fuel jets need cleaning, etc.

The fact that it just started would lead me to believe the later.

Why didnt this rev hang happen before and it happening now though?
I didn't realize you're experiencing this now & not before. I don't know if running some sea foam through the car would be beneficial or not. No clue if you have a fuel injector issue or who knows. I seem to recall @Dar-Dar mentioning sea foam in older posts maybe?

I didn't realize you're experiencing this now & not before. I don't know if running some sea foam through the car would be beneficial or not. No clue if you have a fuel injector issue or who knows. I seem to recall @Dar-Dar mentioning sea foam in older posts maybe?
I've used Sea Foam a lot on my MC's and cars........ I like it(it has a "How much" per gallon on the bottle)....... I'd go the tank route 1st, then if needed direct squirt to the jet(if you know how to get to them, "I don't" )

Sea foam works wonders. you may also try taking your intake piping off and taking a peek at your throttle body. there may be some gunk built up that could be preventing it from opening/closing as easily as it should causing the issue. Nothing some brakekleen and elbow grease cant fix though.

Back