Seafoam opinions and usage methods

Dragos

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
4 Door Sedan
I saw Seafoam mentioned more than once here so I got curious about it. I like the idea of it and I am thinking of using it.

A bit of research shows people use it in more than one way.

The simplest way is to add it in the tank and run the car. But I have also seen taking out main manifold vacuum lines putting in the engine oil and more inventive uses.

They also mention a strong smell after using it.

So my questions are:
Did you use it?
Gas tank only or engine oil, vacuum lines and so on?
How bad is the stink and how much it lasts?

Anything I missed mentioning that I should be aware of?

I say don't use it! My old accord ran over 200,000miles before I sold it and i never used anything of that sort on it. Honda has their own 3 pack of cleaners/additives that they use when you take the car in for the 30, 60, 90k service intervals. You should be fine with the occasional Honda stuff.

Unless you are losing compression or have some other engine issue that you are trying to remedy. I suspect your car is fairly new still and issues like that would probably be from something else and not deposit build up just yet.

I say don't use it! My old accord ran over 200,000miles before I sold it and i never used anything of that sort on it. Honda has their own 3 pack of cleaners/additives that they use when you take the car in for the 30, 60, 90k service intervals. You should be fine with the occasional Honda stuff.

Unless you are losing compression or have some other engine issue that you are trying to remedy. I suspect your car is fairly new still and issues like that would probably be from something else and not deposit build up just yet.

Yeah car is new, 5.5k KMs. I did not know of the Honda cleaners, that is good to know!

I do short trips on a regular basis so that was basically my reasoning behind it. 8 KM trips one way to and from work most of the days.

I am also considering the first oil change soon since I am approaching 6 months on it regardless if the maintenance minder kicks in or not (now it says 60%).

You can run it in the vacuum lines and gas tank, but I would do it before an oil change so it will not stay mixed with the oil inside the engine. The point of running the seafoam in the vacuum line is for the seafoam to clean the engine chambers. Once the seafoam goes in the engine, you'll have to let it sit for a couple of hours. I'm guessing it turns to foam and eats away the carbon buildup. Putting it in the gas tank will clean out the fuel pump, fuel lines, and fuel injectors. It doesn't smell, but it produces a massive white cloud of smoke which can alert the neighbors. Lol. I'm not sure how much seafoam you have to put per cylinder. Me and my brother put seafoam on his RX8 a couple of weeks ago (rotary). I haven't done it with mine yet.

You can run it in the vacuum lines and gas tank, but I would do it before an oil change so it will not stay mixed with the oil inside the engine. The point of running the seafoam in the vacuum line is for the seafoam to clean the engine chambers. Once the seafoam goes in the engine, you'll have to let it sit for a couple of hours. I'm guessing it turns to foam and eats away the carbon buildup. Putting it in the gas tank will clean out the fuel pump, fuel lines, and fuel injectors. It doesn't smell, but it produces a massive white cloud of smoke which can alert the neighbors. Lol. I'm not sure how much seafoam you have to put per cylinder. Me and my brother put seafoam on his RX8 a couple of weeks ago (rotary). I haven't done it with mine yet.

Anything prompted you to do it for the RX8 or just preventive? For me as said it is just for good measure, everything runs perfectly.

My brother's car had a check engine light. One of the sensors had a bad oil/carbon build-up (typical RX8, lol). We don't really need any engine cleaners for our cars. Especially yours since it's still very young.

It's a good product. I'd only use it for a car with relatively high mileage.

Back