Shift Boot Safety Question

WhiteWillie

NW Houston, TX
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Guys, I'm going back many question here, but I seem to remember that shift boots not only dressed up the inside of the car, but were intended to keep exhaust fumes out of the car. If that's true, it seems important the shift boot should be sealed around the shift rod, as the stock shift boot is. What think you?

I remember begin able to actually see my transmission through the hole in my floor when I installed a floor shifter, rather than a column mounted shifter.

Seeing if I can add anything here. We have cable shifters so there wouldn't be a hole to the transmission below the shift rod. Also the console is not air tight and I think if exhaust did get up in that area it would seep into the cabin regardless of shift boot or not.

On my old miata there was a rubber seal below the shift boot. Some even run their cars without a shift boot and use the seals as a retro rubber ring boot. However, even when it was torn there were no exhaust fumes coming in the cabin that I can recall

There won't be any exhaust gas coming out, and there isn't a seal on the shift boot. You can swap it out to whatever without worrying.

There isn't a hole under the shifter since it's a cable shifter. The older Civics with rod shifters had a hole, however, but it was pretty much sealed even without the shift boot; the shifter assembly sealed the hole simply by being attached to it.

The shifter cables run forward to near the bottom of the dashboard, near the cig lighter, and go through two holes into the engine bay area. The holes are sealed with large grommets around the cables where the holes are.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. In my initial post, the car to which I was referring was a 1953 Chevy. I guess technology has changed since then.

I think 323 just got a new boot... can't remember where though... see if he sees this tag and he might come answer.

where is a good place to get a new boot

Redlinegoods.com
Great site, excellent customer service, and a myriad of choices and customization options.
Plus, it's custom made for our car, so it fits perfectly

Just to add, if you have exhaust fumes getting into your car, you have another problem. Since the only opening for the exhaust system is at the head exhaust ports and the tailpipe. Its a closed system otherwise. If you have an exhaust leak, then that will get into the car other ways as well, including windows that are rolled down and other holes in the firewall.

On the older cars, it was more to keep the heat out as well as the elements from the outside (rain, dirt and hot air).

Back