Short ram/icebox style intake

A8r9b

http://afepower.com/shop/details_ne...&&brandID=78&gclid=CMKyuMWpo68CFUmR7Qod3n15Wg

I was doing some searching and found this. Has anyone ever seen this or know anyone who has tried it? Seems like a short ram icebox style.. Maybe Webby could shoot an email and find a little more information about the product ;-) ? If there was an intake that boasted this much power I would think we would all be very aware of it by now. Meh, lemme know!

I highly doubt the numbers, 20hp/18tq just from that? They also claim 10hp/8tq with a tsb. So 30hp/28tq from just intake and spacer? I think a little over optimistic but probably some gain. In the exploded view it seems like the plastic "box" around the filter would restrict it more than help? It also appears to me that the bottom of it would connect to the stock resonator location? I dunno.... their "dyno" sheet also is a little hard to look at but it seems like run 1 was with the takeda system and run 4 was stock? So biggest gains seen when run cold with new intake system on vs. 4th run with everything hot? Props for actually posting dyno sheet though.

If you really want the power for $300 call up Import DPS. Im sure they will have something soon.

You would think even a simpler CAI system would work better but even those don't post that kind of gain. The Rick Spec'd Intensity intake system was one of the biggest gainers for 8th gen SI and that was a huuuge 3.5" very straight tube right into the IM. Required battery relocate, FlashPro and everything. That said it only posted 8-14hp gains. The short ram version was around 12hp.

http://www.importdpsonline.com/

I felt the same way about it. I did a bit of reading and no one has any REAL BAD reviews for takeda, there is quite a few of good ones though. From what I understand it was a upper man at injen moved to do his own deal. The gains do seem strange but if you cut away the resonator and point it out it should be the same as a CIA. It looks like the Intake systems the CT engineering sells to the older TSX guys, they seem to have decent gains. I'm not about to pony of the $300 some dollars to try it out though. I dunno.. I'll think about it...

edit: I'm on the go so I'll check later but I think the 10hp and 8tq from the tbs was with a high flow drop it... Not completely unbelievable. Still optimistic, but not unbelievable.

3 runs with a bmw m5 + baseline
it lost power in all 3 runs over stock.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/125499-afe-intake-dyno-review.html

005= stock setup
006= AFE Intake – RPI Scoops "blocked" – hood closed
008= AFE Intake – RPI Scoops – hood closed
010= AFE Intake – RPI Scoops – hood open

scan0002_1.jpg

seems a bunch of owners did a mass refund, because it lost power.

wow that sucks! how do you make an intake worse than a stock one that is generally pretty restrictive!

Lol, ouch. That would put a damper on wanting to deal with them again Webby. What gains did they claim and did they ever release a v2?

I see. I went ahead and read about half that thread and got my own conclusion. It seems like that intake in particular was indeed a poor design. It was on a 2010 BMW m5, which was slightly modified. I doubt the modification had anything to do with the loss of power. Too bad, they have stopped production of that unit though, which shows it was a poor product. I'm still gonna do some more research but appreciate you finding that for me. It was an informative read.

Edit: I really need to quit being lazy. I didn't see it on the site, stupid tiny iPhone. I would really hope they changed the design with such a bold claim in power increase. Thanks again.

If you really want the power for $300 call up Import DPS. Im sure they will have something soon.

You would think even a simpler CAI system would work better but even those don't post that kind of gain. The Rick Spec'd Intensity intake system was one of the biggest gainers for 8th gen SI and that was a huuuge 3.5" very straight tube right into the IM. Required battery relocate, FlashPro and everything. That said it only posted 8-14hp gains. The short ram version was around 12hp.
I really hope they do come out with a Rick Spec'd for the 2012 after some reading it has peaked my interest.

I noticed that the intake is now for sale at Corsport. I didn't see it last time I was at their site.

maybe corsport can test it on their 2012 shop car

Back