Short Shifters and Bushings...Need some help

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
Ok, so for a while I have been trying to research stuff about short shifters and cable/base bushings. I've not found a straight answer for this yet, but, I know that it the SS shortens the throw of the shift basically. What I really want to know is, what does all this do for your car.
What are Cable bushings? Base Bushings? Benefits? Do they make these for the R18? Which are the best to buy?
I'd like to know more about this before I just buy it all and not know what the heck is going on.
Sorry for the dumb questions in advance.

Base bushings provide a more crisp feeling shift, gets rid of some of the notchy feeling in the shifter, and eliminate the slack in the shifter at the end of a gear.
I love mine, they're a great upgrade, and it fits the R18 as well

I put on my moddication anvil and drove it today, the inch drop made a great difference, I'm wondering if the bushings will make it even better?

I put on my moddication anvil and drove it today, the inch drop made a great difference, I'm wondering if the bushings will make it even better?

The bushings will tighten it up. The current rubber bushings will give and cause slack in the movement. I have a short shift adapter and aluminum bushings and absolutely love it! Huge difference from my 7th. I cannot wait to drop the height and get a better knob.

The patience worries me,got to do it but got to find somewhere maybe to install( I'm sure that will be I'mpossible).its amazing almost 6 million peeps and a million cool cars but shops are as hard to find as good drivers..... Sometimes I hate Atlanta

Back in ne Ohio,no people,no jobs but there are shops everywhere? And they get about 4 good months of weather,I just want to give up sometimes.

I just saw the DIY,it's very impressive and well done.I believe I want to just do the bushings? The short shifter may be too short with my new shift knob( it's 1 inch lower) i want to use it. Are the bushings only this involved?

I just saw the DIY,it's very impressive and well done.I believe I want to just do the bushings? The short shifter may be too short with my new shift knob( it's 1 inch lower) i want to use it. Are the bushings only this involved?

You should be able to manage the install on just the bushings without disconnecting the cables, but I would be concerned about possibly bending them. In other words, yes it is just as involved for just the bushings. Kind of why I put them both into the same DIY instead of making separate ones.

As far as the height, a short shift adapter will not lower the height of the lever itself so you could do the adapter without worrying about making the knob sit any lower.

Last edited:
Oh,ok maybe it is a go,I'm going to print out the DIY with photo paper and see if I can do it .maybe I was talking about the shifter shown that the guy said was 1 inch lower after replacement.

If you were to get a whole shifting mechanism replacement, odds are it would be designed for the knob to sit lower as well as shortening the throw, but an adapter will simply shorten the throw.

As much as people hate twm, I have there full replacement shifter, cable and base bushings and not only is my shifter super short but there is no excessive play and the shifts are super crisp. Downside is shifting to hard feels like your punching a soild wall...

Back