Some help for choosing wheel and tire sizes.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!

Looking for new wheels for your new civic? Don't know what size to get? There is a nice easy to use calculator online to help you size your wheel and tire correctly to make sure you're speedo isn't off or to at least let you know how far off it will be.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Stock sizing:
DX/LX
15 x 6.0 in. wheels
P195/65R15

EX
16 x 6.5 in. wheels
P205/55R16

SI
(2012 & 2013)
17 x 7.0 in. wheels
P215/45R17

(2014+)

18" wheels

P225/40R/18

Depending on what model you have punch in your stock tire and wheel size. For example with an EX you would put the 205/55/16 in the first set of boxes. On the new tire side put in the third number first, the wheel size you are going to. Say you wanted to go to a 17" wheel. Assuming the new wheel is also a 6.5" wide, you would just have to adjust the tire width and "ratio" which is the middle number until they match or are at least pretty close.

With this example a stock 205/55/16 and going to a 17" you would need a 205/50/17. It is off by 0.8%. At 60mph you would actually be going 60.5 mph. Pretty close. Again choose your wheel first and then decide how wide and play with the tire numbers that fit.

Say your new wheel was a 17x7 or 17x7.5. Pretty common sizes. Best fit tire size is going to be a 225/45/17. It's only off by 0.4% meaning when your speedo reads 60 you are going 60.2 mph. Nearly a perfect fit. Also the wider tire provides a better contact patch and better traction.

Offset is a whole 'nother issue of personal taste. Anything between +35 to +45 should fit fine with no rubbing in a reasonable size. *17's & 18's.

Last edited:
what do those numbers on the tire mean? 225/45/17 for example... Also what do the letters around the tread wear mean example: 500 tread AA A..... ALSO what would the ideal tread wear be for someone who just likes to speed? not track or official racing but good enough to go fast. My stock tires are currently 500 something tread wear. I want to buy a 2nd set of wheels for summer so I can make my stock wheels/tires my winter setup. So Id like something like BBC wheels. Feel free to name other brands because BBC is all i know and like right now lol. Id also like have some sweet tires on them that are good for racing at the track occasionally/ going fast w.e u want to call it.

(I edited your post, race at the track and be safe. - Nix)

Last edited by a moderator:
In a fictional 200/50/17 tire size:

The first number 200 is the width of the tire.

The second number 50 is the height of the sidewall. But is is a percentage of the width not a measurement.

For example on a 200 width tire a "50" series means the sidewall will be 50 percent of the width or 100. Usually these are all in mm. So the tire is 200mm wide and 100mm "tall."

The third number, 17, is just the diameter or size wheel you should use with that tire.

Tread wear ratings are supposed to conform to the UTQG, uniform tread quality grade, but its questionable at best. It gives you and idea how long the tire should last. The numbers are based on a very short test and don't take into account anything other than calm highway style driving. So don't read too much into them but know the lower the number the quicker the tire will wear out, generally. Same with the A and AA ratings for grip. Full read and explanation here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...!utqg&ef_id=VajZ2gAABQx@vEZt:20150717103258:s

There are a lot of tires to choose from. If you are getting a second set of wheels browse the wheel threads and decide what you like. If you want a really great performance tire that makes a decent all season, except for very cold weather and snow, most people here will probably recommend you the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Thats if you want a high performance tire. There are lots of middle of the road options. Dedicated winters are great if you live in an area that gets snow.

Thats camber.

Offset is where the wheel sits in the wheel well. The higher the number the closer the wheel moves towards the strut/engine/car. The lower the number the further the wheel moves out towards the fender.

Camber:

wheel%201.gif

CE28N are awesome wheels. I hope you have deep pockets.... they run $700+ per wheel....

I need help looking for sum nice stance wheels !!

If your goal is "sum nice stance," you are not going to get much help around here. If you would like to know what size wheels and tires will work with your specific suspension, we can help with that.

A set of 4 will run me $2081.92 Their site is doing a discount.

Thats a steal! Do you want to run 17's or 18's? You could run anything from 7" to 9" wide and +45 to +35 for offset. Just depends on what your future plans for the car might be. Consider tire width and suspension when choosing. Also decide if you are willing to run stretched tires or lots of camber or fender work. Do you want functional or stance?

I would run a 17x8 +40 with a 235/40 tire if I could find a wheel in those specs! hahaha the +40 offset seems to be a rarity.

Thats a steal! Do you want to run 17's or 18's? You could run anything from 7" to 9" wide and +45 to +35 for offset. Just depends on what your future plans for the car might be. Consider tire width and suspension when choosing. Also decide if you are willing to run stretched tires or lots of camber or fender work. Do you want functional or stance?

I would run a 17x8 +40 with a 235/40 tire if I could find a wheel in those specs! hahaha the +40 offset seems to be a rarity.
Functional and 18". Im getting tein street advance coilovers next week and installing them. Keeping the height stock. Just installing them for performance. Not sure if that upgrade will effect what size I should choose. What's the size do? I dont really know what width to choose because I dont know what it does.

@Nix when it comes to offset I still dont know why to choose 35-45. I just know thats what we choose on our cars. Dont even know what stretching tires is/does

Width determines the size tire you can run. It also effect the appearance of the wheel. If you're going to go with an 18, you'll probably want to stick to a 225/40 tire. They are plentiful to choose from and will fit on the car well. You can run a wheel from 7-8.5" wide safely with that tire size. Some of the wheels change appearance dramatically when you go to a 9" or even a 9.5" width. Once you start getting into wide wheels, generally 9"+ you can start to have some clearance issues.

The offset just determines where the wheel sits in the wheel well. If you had a 17x7 wheel and the offset was +60 it would hit the strut on the inside. If the offset is +10 it would hit the fender. The higher the number the more the wheel sits closer in. The lower the number the further out the wheel gets.

Stock offset on the Civic is +45 so sticking around that number is good. The lower the offset the closer and more "flush" to the fender it looks. Most wheels in a +35 should not give you any issues. Beyond that you may have to run a lot of camber or roll the fenders to avoid rubbing. So anything between 45 and 35 is pretty safe. Hopefully that helps.

This is a jokey picture but it helps illustrate offset pretty well.

Consider the top set of pics to be a wheel with a +45 offset.

On the bottom its basically +35, +25, +15, and 0 offset

tumblr_l45jcuvBNM1qzbqkvo1_500.jpg

+35 +25 +15 +0

Wheel Size:VOLK CE28N Wheels (10 Spoke) 5x100 18x8.0J ET+44

Im guessing the offset is 44? Whats 5x100 mean? You have the option to pick 5x114.5 @Nix

The price is actually 3800 with shipping. I was reading the price for a 15×7 without shipping lol

Last edited:
If your goal is "sum nice stance," you are not going to get much help around here. If you would like to know what size wheels and tires will work with your specific suspension, we can help with that.
Well sure I need help

Back